August 7th 2013

6:33 AM

I got no sleep last night. The wind shook our tent as if the dead were right outside. The air is sticky and cool at the same time if that's possible. I can't stand it in here any longer. I'm going to wait for sunrise and maybe, under the warmth of our closest star, I'll get some sleep.

8:47 AM

The entire camp was awoken by screams. A zombie has made it all the way down here. A few guys are grabbing hammers and my dad is among them. They are heading to the RV parked across from us...

8:54 AM

All in all five died today. Two were killed by the zombie and three more we had to put down cause they got infected. They were all the same family. It must have been horrifying, to be one second sleeping next to be woken by your brother ripping you in half. They are taking the bodies out now. My dad sent us to the beach so we "wouldn't see". I doubt that this will be the worst thing he is going to be protecting us from in days to come.

10:19 AM we are heading out to the local Walmart to buy supplies while money is still worth something.

11:09

The Walmart has been picked clean of all unessential things like TVs and toys. There is a huge blowout sale and everything is 75% off. We buy some flashlights, a flare gun, goggles for each of us, clothes, and the last hunting knife in stock. There are distant screams and gun fire as we exit the store. Getting back is slow threw a massive traffic jam. I fear the zombies are moving up the back of our massive convoy....

11:31

The authorities no doubt saved us. We saw helicopters flying over head with armed officers. I think whatever zombie threat there was, was put down because the jam has sped up and the is no more gunfire. Hopefully we get back to camp soon, that was a close call.

7:29 PM

It is painfully clear to me now that the incident on the freeway was not an isolated event. When we got back to camp it was burning. There were bodies everywhere. You could hear grunts and shouts as the survivors fought off the dead. Me and my dad joined the fray by him picking up a hatchet and me a rifle from the fallen. I had never used a gun before and missed my first two shots. After drawing half the dead in the camp to my position behind a car the gun jammed. Luckily my dad used their attention on me to take them out from the back.

All in all thirty two people died today, including the five from this morning. I have been working all day with the others to put out the fires ( some fool lit a zombie on fire which then set fire to half the camp) and burying the dead. Some argued that we should burn them to keep the chance of disease low, but everyone lost someone and didnt want to burn their fathers, sisters, brothers, and children.

It's cool now the wind doesn't seem as dampening as yesterday. The sun is going down over the horizon and soon it will be dark.

Today was my first face to face encounter with the dead. I could scold my self for not having learned how to use a rifle or should have been more useful putting the fires out but hey, I am alive, which is better than most of our group can say. But now one thing is undebatable, the dead have reached the coast, and sooner we get out of here the better.