Chapter Forty-Two: I Promise (Hazel)

The sticky June air made my clothes cling to my body, and I envied the Quidditch players, flying high above. There the wind rustled their robes and blew cold air into their faces. And, I added, they aren't suspended for the rest of the school year.

Dad stood beside me, his neck craned to catch a glimpse of Scorpius's yellow and black robes. I dearly hoped that Hufflepuff would beat Gryffindor. That would show those big-headed, so sure of themselves lions.

Next year Slytherin'll be in the finals. I'll be up there, chucking Bludgers at anyone who came close to the Quaffle.

Both Rose and I had been suspended for the rest of the school year, but had been permitted to come and watch the final match between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor. I was the only one who came. Even though she was a lot kinder now, Quidditch, to her, was a big waste of time.

Emmanuel Oke's voice rang through the stadium, strained from all of his yelling in the heat.

"Grace passes to King, and she scores! Thirty- ten Hufflepuff! Looks like Potter just rammed himself into his own hoop, he seems to be swerving a bit."

I leaned over the railings and saw my best friend, who had just forgiven me for breaking his wand, woozily leaning over on his broom. The two Gryffindor Beaters stationed themselves by the hoops, probably to knock a Bludger at the Hufflepuff Chasers.

"Malfoy has made a sudden swoop towards the Quidditch field, he's picking up speed, looks like he's going to crash!"

I closed my eyes tightly, terrified that I would see Scorpius sprawled on the pitch like last time— and as a terrific roar came from the crowd, opened them again.

"And Malfoy pulls up just in time— now is chasing the Snitch!!!"

All thoughts of fear vanished as I jumped to my feet, Dad next to me, and jumped up and down excitedly.

"Go, Scorpius!" I yelled, my voice mingling with the hundreds of other student's. "You can beat Gryffindor!"

I wasn't going to tell Albus, but I relished the thought of Hufflepuff beating the semi-smug Gryffindors. They weren't all like that, off course, but some thought they were better than everyone else just because everyone famous was in their house. Well, almost everyone famous. They always forgot what amazing wizards that Severus Snape and the Dark Lord were, and they came from my house. Slytherin. Apparently if they thought you were evil, all mentions of your greatness was erased from the books and minds of people.

"James Potter has just joined Malfoy!" yelled Oke, over the sounds of screaming Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors. "It's a race for the Snitch, both Seekers are neck and neck..."

I leaned even further over the railing and saw a blur of yellow, black, and red making it's way across the field.

Come on Scorpius, I prayed desperately, but in my heart had doubts still. My brother was an amazing Seeker, but Gryffindor had won the Quidditch Cup for something like ten years in a row. They were unstoppable.

"It's all over!" Oke shrieked," Malfoy caught the Snitch! Hufflepuff wins the season with a score of—" His last words were drowned out by the heaving tide of yellow-clad Hufflepuffs and Slytherins hollering at the top of their lungs. The other spectators, Gryffindors and most of the Ravenclaws stared at the ground, clapping politely for the winning team.

"Yes!" I hissed under my breath, and looked towards Dad. His face was flushed with pride, hair mussed, and eyes bright. His black robes whipped around him.

"Well, at least it wasn't my fault that we lost," Albus said, mostly to himself. I turned away from Dad and gaped at seeing my best friend hovering on his broom a couple feet away from our seats.