08.

Chapter Eight

If there was a place to study, it would have to be the Ravenclaw common room.

Numerous tables were dotted around the room, and it was often to see all these tables filled by students intent on studying, pieces of parchment on piles and almost overflowing the bench surface.

It was almost always comfortably quiet, too, since people preferred to talk quietly so as not to disturb those who were studying. It was Annie's first time in the common room; she'd been invited up there by Luna to help each other through their Transfiguration homework. Transfiguration was Annie's worst subject, and Luna had been more than happy to help.

Transfiguration was bearable with Luna - she was very patient and while she didn't give all the answers, she phrased questions in a way that got Annie thinking, and she was almost always able to answer the questions.

After two and a half hours, they finished going through the set homework. Annie pushed her parchment away in relief and sighed, resting her head on her arms. She snuck a look up at Luna (she had a pencil holding her hair in a messy bun while another one was behind her ear, and she was wearing her Butterbeer cork necklace), and her heart skipped a beat.

With nothing else to do, they began to converse quietly to wind down - it was late at night and they had been working hard for a while. After a while, Luna asked Annie why she had been homeschooled.

Annie shrugged as best she could while lying down. "It was my mother. She's French, and was taught at Beauxbatons," she explained. "She travelled the world after she finished school, and met my father and fell deeply in love with him. She wanted to move back to France with him, but she didn't know the language and besides, he had a job here that was warming him a considerable amount of money -" She paused here yawn. "In the end, Mum decided to stay in England. When I was born, she decided she didn't want to send me to Hogwarts - she didn't trust the school, you see. She'd have sent me to Beauxbatons but she didn't feel -" another yawn "- comfortable sending me abroad alone. So, I was homeschooled under her watchful eye."

Luna tilted her head to the side. "That's interesting."

"I guess." Annie yawned hugely and her eyes began to flutter closed. "Merlin, I'm shattered."

"Sleep, then," Luna said gently.

"Have - to get back - to Hufflepuff..." Annie murmured, words slurred and drowsy and her eyes continuing to close.

But the next second Annie had passed out, her red hair sprayed around her head.

When Annie next woke up, she had no idea where she was. She wasn't home, nor was she in the Hufflepuff dormitory. The roof, for one, was coloured blue - and so were the walls.

Annie propped herself up on one arm, and blinked, realising where she was.

"Why am I till in Ravenclaw tower?" she mumbled to herself.

"You fell asleep. I didn't want to wake you."

Annie looked in the direction of the voice. Luna was sitting by the dying fire. Her hair was exceptionally messy and tangled

"Oh. Thanks, Luna," Annie murmured, smiling softly. "Why did you sleep down here then?"

"I didn't want you to wake up feeling alone."

Warmth spread throughout Annie's body. Not only was Luna beautiful, but she had the most beautiful soul Annie knew.

Luna stood up, stretched, and tapped her hair - it brushed itself out. The firelight caught her eyes, making them stand out. She was beautiful.