Belt testing

February 28, 2016

A big part of my time (outside of work) is spent taking my kids to various lessons - at the moment it's taekwondo, gymnastics, skiing & snowboarding, but with TKD being the most time consuming. Matthew and Ella are both in TKD, and Ben will be starting in September. They both go to TKD classes at least 2 times per week. At the moment Matthew and Ella are thankfully in the same class but Matthew will now be moving on to the next level class which means 2 separate classes again :-(

At our TKD school belt testing happens the last Friday of every month and kids test when they are ready. The past Friday was another belt testing day for Matthew. He's been doing TKD for just over 3 years and he just tested for his black-stripe belt. Black-stripe is the belt before black belt and he's so excited to be one step closer. Belt order goes white, yellow-stripe, yellow, green-stripe, green, blue-stripe, blue, red-stripe, red, black-stripe, then black (1st dan)

 Belt order goes white, yellow-stripe, yellow, green-stripe, green, blue-stripe, blue, red-stripe, red, black-stripe, then black (1st dan)

Picture above is from board breaking - jumping side kick (I think).

It will likely be another 8 months before he is able to test for his black belt. If training goes well he should be able to test for his black belt in October (black belt testing only happens twice a year - March and October) so this means many more months of classes to come.

Good job Matthew! You did great on Friday - way to go!! When I see my kids so happy about their accomplishments it makes all the work we put in as parents worth it! (ie: taking the time driving them to and from classes, the waiting, supporting work, etc.)