Chapter 31: Las Vegas (2)

Graceland Wedding Chapel, Las Vegas

As I sit down on a chair near the back of the chapel I realise that I'm shaking. Just who the hell is about to get married? Ana and Duncan? I glance to my left where they are sitting smiling at each other. Could this be an impromptu declaration of their love? Or maybe one of the random boring couples, people I've never even spoken to and whose names I don't know? That would make sense. This is merely just a long planned part of their vacation that they wanted to keep secret so as to make the occasion seem more exciting? But if it is such unknowns it would be a bit of a let down, and not really worthy the fuss Leah has created, right?

My heart starts to race as I process my next idea. What if it is more than just a surprise for the guests, what if it is a surprise for the bride too? Maybe she hasn't even been proposed to yet?

I look over at Louis who is sitting with everyone near the front. Why is he looking so nervous too?

OMG, what if its me? What if this is the entire reason why he got me to fly out here and then play hard to get for weeks, because he wanted to surprise me like this, by marrying me?

The music starts to play and I begin to panic. I admit that the idea of marrying Louis is a dream I have had on more than one occasion, but not like this, not in front of all these strangers, in a Las Vegas wedding chapel, but worst of all I will not be getting married without a wedding dress!

My throat is closing tight as I realise that I need to find a way to stop this. Getting back together with Louis is something which has always been on my agenda, but I can't marry him, not here, not now.

But it's too late, and the whole scene is getting weirder, for the music has just shifted, and the tune now playing sounds eerily familiar but certainly not what I would call wedding music.

'Hu Hu.' A deep voice bumbles from behind the screen before, boom, OMG, it is Elvis! Okay, so not the real Elvis, I've not turned that crazy, but an Elvis impersonator, and he's bounding across the stage singing 'Viva Las Vegas'. He's regaling the group, encouraging everyone to join in, and they are! The entire room is singing at the top of their lungs like this whole thing is completely normal. But it's not normal, this doesn't just happen to other people, unless it's a secret rite of passage that only I have never heard about?

I mentally scan through the past few hours of my life; did someone slip me an illegal hallucinogenic without me noticing, and now I'm tripping big style? And boy is this a bad trip. Surely Louis wouldn't think I would actually go for this?

'Hu hu.' Our Elvis bumbles again when the song has finished.

'Okay, so we are gathered here today for a wedding.' He addresses the group. 'And I know you're all desperate to find out who is getting wed with us today.'

Wait, is Elvis actually about to conduct the service too?

'So I'd like you to give a big welcome to the alter our bride and groom.'

He starts a tape recording of some more traditional bridal music.

'Let's give a big round of applause for Harry and Lottie.'

I give a loud sigh of relief. Thank the Lord he didn't just say my name. I was a fool to think Louis would do such a thing to me. But wait, rewind, did Elvis just say Harry and Lottie?

Harry and Lottie?

'Harry and Lottie!?' I gasp.

And whilst the rest of the room looks equally as confused as I do, they all seem to be happy about this revelation, for everyone is clapping and cheering as Harry and Lottie raise from their seats and are walking towards the alter.

What the hell is actually happening? This is just another one of her typical crazy statements isn't it, so she can go back home and brag to everyone "ooo look at me, look how crazy I am, can you believe I got married in Las Vegas, and to a near stranger too. But you only live once right?"

This is insanity, I need to get up there and stop this if only for her Mothers sake, I know how she's always dreamed of a big white wedding for her only daughter.

'We are gathered here today to celebrate the union of our friends, Harry and Lottie.' Elvis is moving things forward quickly.

I look at both Harry and Lottie aghast. They are facing each other, holding hands and beaming, like they've been madly in love this whole time and it was only me who was dumb enough not to see it.

'If anyone knows of any reason why this couple should not be married then please speak now or forever hold your peace.'

"Speak now or forever hold your peace." The words repeat through my mind. I need to speak now, because otherwise if I don't, then I know, through this aching feeling in my chest alone, that I will never be able to hold my peace. I can't let this happen. I can't let Harry and Lottie get married, I'm not totally sure why I can't if this is what they want, but I need to think of an excuse and speak up fast.

'No.' I cough.

'Excuse me?' Elvis looks shocked, like this never actually happened before.

'I said no.' I speak more confidently now, 'they can't get married.' I can't believe I actually said it, but judging by the way everyone is now staring at me open mouthed and expectant, the words must have actually come out loud.

'And do you have a reason?' I can't believe Elvis is actually challenging me about this. Can't we just accept that I said no and move on from the whole thing?

'Erm...' I stammer.

'Erm well?' Lottie speaks for the first time, obviously cross. Of course she's cross, I just ruined her wedding, just like she thinks I ruin everything for her.

For some unbeknownst reason Harry doesn't look angry at all, in fact by the half smile he is giving me, it looks like I just saved him from the biggest mistake of his life.

'Well?' Lottie is demanding an answer.

'Your Mother.' My voice is shaking as I declare my reason.

'What about my Mother?'

'I can't let you get married now because it would upset her so much. You know how
much she wants you to have a big wedding one day, or at the very least let her be there.'

'For God's sake Niamh.' She is pulling her hair back tightly, clearly exasperated at my attempts of an explanation.

'It's just a joke you stupid cow.' She is really shouting at me now.

'Can't you see that?'

'A joke?' I'm suddenly fighting back the tears, consumed by the embarrassment of my over reaction. How couldn't I see this, that there was no way Lottie would be marrying Harry for real.

'A joke.' I whisper again, except this time it is only me that can hear.

Authors note: So I'm expecting some of you to be thinking, what the hell, this is getting too ridiculous, but this scene was actually inspired by a real life experience, by which I mean the impromptu Vegas wedding, not the Harry bit - he unfortunately was not there :(

So what does everyone think of Vegas weddings, I know people can be pretty divided with some thinking it is trashy. I personally would love to go to the Vegas wedding drive through and I'd love to wear a pink wig while I'm doing it. Unfortunately / fortunately (?) My boyfriend is not so keen on the idea to which I say 'booooooorrrrrriiiiinnnggg'.

PS: I actually found a YouTube video of Viva Las Vegas to upload. It is hilarious!