CHAPTER TWO

MISUNDERSTANDING 

My first day with my "mother" was so enjoyable to her but to me I saw it a century till dusk. First and foremost on reaching her compound there was a tall, dark, slim and scary face man who when he smiled at me i thought he was sympathizing with my ordeal.
"Hmmm handsome boy..."
"From now henceforth you will be calling me Dad!....." He said it with a commanding tone which almost made me fret.
"B...uut!
"NO BUT!"
I was cut short by a baritone voice from my "mother" which was followed by a big slap on my chin which made me swallow saliva of bitterness, within a shakes of ducks tail, a frightening command followed,
"DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"
I had no other option than to accept,
"Ye.....es"
It was  on a Tuesday morning when i was outside the house just gazing at the space that i noted there was a visitor at the gate who had come to pay us a visit, actually it was rare to see visitors in my "mom's" compound. She was very happy to find me there, and she thought to herself that i was a grandson to my "mother" with my gullible nature i welcomed her into the compound as we began to walk towards the house,
"Whats your name please?" I asked
"Am Mrs Mumbi, a doctor by profession" She said it with bold words that made me envy her.
"Wow! That's awesome!" I replied
In escorted her to the house where she met my mother.

When it came time for her to leave she hugged me once me and looked at my face and asked me,
"What's your name my dia?"
She said it in a polite manner that i couldn't hesitate to reply.
"Am Gabriel Kanjiri"
Before I could finish my statement a harsh hawk-eye signal from my mother could keep on warning me to remain freezed
"....we live in the city of Nairobi at...."
Before i could manage to complete my sentence, my "mother" grabbed me bitterly and pinched me, I felt it as if it was a needle penetrating my flesh and without any commentary she looked at her and with a timid face she muttered "C'mon lets go, did you come here to pay me a visit a visit or to interrogate my family?"

Tears of sorrows cascaded down my swarthy face after which i knew that when she comes back it will be a beating for that incident, oh! poor me. She escorted her to the gate and after she was gone she came to me holding a huge stick, by the look of it i became weak and i couldn't do anything than to beg for pardoning. All my effort proved futile and my words seemed not to get into her ears. So i thought to myself kneeling was the best option  but before my knees  could make contact with the ground, my body was escorted to the ground by a huge stroke on my back, this created an intense pain that made me thought that my spine was broken. I didn't realise myself on reaching the ground. After i gained back my consciousness  she was beside me looking at me furiously.
"Eeeh I see, you thought making a fool out of me that you've fainted would save you from these? Now you will know my true colours"
"Whaa..t have i done to deserve this mum" I said it a sorrowful tone.
"Shhh! Shut up your mandible you little mongrel, you thought that this act of your science would save you. Idiot!"
A huge cane landed on my body which almost made me to freeze but i tried to control myself not to. They followed each other with thunder that i couldn't have time to air my words. Every time i tried to open my mouth it was shut by a slap on my chin that almost left the pattern of the fingers in my chin.
After she was through with me she entered into the house and left me lying on the ground helplessly. I stayed there until dusk, "Are you going to get into the house or not?"
Without a reply i dragged my legs at least to find support but before i could reach the door it was shut with a bang. Tears of sadness cascaded down my face not knowing what to do next, I stayed there until dusk, and the weather suddenly started to change, it became so windy and some signs of a coming rain could be seen. My mother had taught me many things despite my age of four I could differentiate which clouds were meant for rain and which one was not. So I was very sure that it was going to rain. Four hours later it started raining what my teacher back at the kindergarten used to call cats and dogs.  I was shaking like a banana leaves being blown by winds from willow. Hunger and cold made me weak that my teeth started crushing against each other not knowing what to do. A minute later i had the door ajar, i breathed in with a sigh of relief, what followed was a busting voice from inside, "Get in here idiot"
Full of fear I entered not knowing what would be her next action, without wasting much time i went straight to my bed having taken nothing for dinner. I tried to sleep but my empty stomach would not allow me.

The following day my day started with a hefty job which I was given a jembe by my  mother to use it in digging out potatoes, but luck was never guaranteed, the place I went to dug produced little amount of potatoes hence I was forced to cultivate more land to make my basket full. This took me a whole day. When I got to the house my mother yelled at me saying that I was just playing rather than doing what she had told me to do.
"You little brat, you are very stupid, totally stupid, S.T.U.P.I.D! Now put it in your mind that what you have brought now will be your food from now till the next moment I'll decide for you to go and get others! DO you here!?"
With a lot of fear and with no hesitation I said yes and went straight to my bed.

"Wow, good game, I admire you guys and in conjunction with that I must buy each one of you a bun for your efforts, so I need one of to come with me so that I may give him your present to bring it to you"
"Gabi, gabi, gabi!"
This what had happened two years ago that made me to be in the situation that I was in. I thought of how I would trace my way back home, but I couldn't simply because I didn't know the place that I was, secondly the place was too far from my homes place about 800 Km. But who is to be blamed no one but me, it was due to my stupidity and greedy that landed me there. All this thoughts were criss crossing my mind which made huge drops of tears come out of my eyes.

Immediately I came out of my thoughts and started to pearl my potatoes ready to make my meal for the day. After three days my potatoes were no more and I had no option other than to go and look for food somewhere else, so my thoughts convinced me that the right person who can help me was our neighbour. Fortunately my neighbour gave me some food and promised to bring others to our home, I was very grateful for the hospitality and the food.
That evening as I was at my bed deeply immersed into an ocean of thoughts, I heard someone calling at the gate, when I came out I was bewildered to find that it was my neighbour at the gate carrying many baggage. I tried to communicate with him, telling him that he shouldn't have brought the shopping, but he insisted to gave it to us. Immediately my mother appeared from the house making some noise to me, but when she realised that I was talking to my neighbour she pretended to be cool and tried to apologise. She welcomed him as I assisted in carrying some of the luggage. My mother pretended to be thankful of which I knew she wasn't saying it genuinely, after a short conversation I overheard my neighbour telling her that am the one who told him that we are experiencing some food shortage and that's why he decided to offer some help. That statement confirmed to me that it was a bad omen, which I had to face some consequences. After they were through with the conversation, he left and she escorted him to the gate.
When she came back the first thing to do was to call me, I was given a big blow which almost send me to the ground.
"How many times do I have to tell you that all our neighbours are witchdoctors, if your self want to die, die alone but one thing I won't allow you to do is to die while am watching"
She took hold of all the shopping that my neighbour had brought into the fire, I almost felt my heart torn apart. I watched hopelessly as the food was being consumed by flames of fire.

The following day I woke up from my bed with tears of sorrows cascading down my visage, I gathered some courage to confront her as I headed to her bedroom. On reaching at the door I first knocked, but alas the door was to loose it just went ajar. I headed straight to her bed and knelt down before her.
"What have I done to you for you to humiliate me this way, where is the love of mother to child, where are your mercies..........."

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

At last I have fulfilled my promise, though late I pardon you for that, you must understand am a student and sometimes the time table becomes too fix to adjust.
Anyway any mistake you find try to understand my career as an Engineer, hahaha! Don't be a silent reader vote, comment and share this book with others. Let me hear your thoughts.
CHAPTER THREE COMING SOON!