Chapter 1: Mel

"Have you tried...I don't know, clenching?"

I almost drop the little mouse in surprise. It squeaks in alarm so I put it back down in the crate before it bites. I'd forgotten Physician Perdiscio was there, but I suppose that happens when you spend an hour trying to control another creature's body. So far, getting into this mouse's mind has been like trying to break down a brick wall with a sponge. If it has thoughts, it's not sharing. Mouse-minds are surprisingly well-fortified.

Not like humans. Physician Perdiscio sits on the other side of the desk, but even from here I can hear his thoughts whirring in the air around us. I can't make out any words, but I can feel his annoyance. I try to tune his though-buzz out—listening in is rude—but once I've noticed it, it clogs up the air like smog.

"Clenching, sir?" I blink my daze away. I'm already exhausted and there's a familiar pounding at the base of my skull. I don't think clenching is going to help.

"You know. Your mind. Or wherever it is your powers are stored. Clench that," Perdiscio says, waving a hand in front of his face. He hasn't even looked up from the report he's writing.

I scoop the mouse up again and feed it a bit of dry bread. My task is simple; use my magic to make this mouse run through a wooden maze. It sounds easy. Maybe for another psychic, it would be easy. But I've been trying this particular task for almost two months, and there are no other psychics.

I close my eyes and open my mind. I clench. The brick wall stays up.

"Did it work?" Perdiscio is staring at me over the top of his round spectacles, his pale eyes dull and bored.

I shake my head. The mouse watches me with beady little eyes, probably hoping for more bread. I'm almost glad I can't take control of this mouse's body for more than a few seconds. There's always a lot of mice in the laundry rooms, no matter how many cats we have. I don't like them, but psychically manipulating one feels wrong.

Perdiscio sighs, his round cheeks puffing up. He looks a lot like this mouse, but not as cute. I can't help but feel slightly sorry for him. He's just as frustrated as I am, though I have a lot more to lose than he does. "Are you sure you're trying, Melanthe?"

I bite back my irritation, glad Perdiscio can't read my mind. "I've been trying for five years, sir," I remind him.

"And in all that time, you've managed to make exactly no progress. You are incapable of even making that tiny mouse do anything but walk in a straight line." He dips his quill in the ink and starts scratching again.

I sigh, deciding it's not worth reminding him that I couldn't even do that when we first started working together. Perdiscio should know that I'm not going to be like those terrifying psychic warriors he's filled his head with, the nameless and faceless ancients who could take out entire legions of men with a single thought. But he's convinced himself that I am like that, somewhere deep down, and if I don't learn to control myself then someone is going to end up dead because of me.

"You must know what will happen if you don't learn some control, don't you?"

I settle back in my chair, preparing for the lecture.

"It's only a matter of time, Melanthe. Psychic magic is dangerous. Why do you think your people hid themselves away on that mountain? I'm surprised His Majesty even allows you to remain in the city, given what happened. You're lucky he's as tolerant as he is. Were King Edric still alive, your life would be much harder."

I gaze around Physician Perdiscio's office. It's still daylight outside, but most of the light in here is from tall candlesticks and lanterns. I wish there were more windows. It's too dark and stuffy in here.