Chapter 1

"In 200 feet your destination will be on your left." The female voice of the Mustang's navigation system sounded almost smug. Andi looked to her left seeing only a rundown bar setting back from the road, surrounded by desert scrub. Two ancient looking gas pumps stood off to one side. The gravel parking lot in front of the building held a few gleaming bikes. Nice, she thought, but not safe, weekend rider kind of bikes. No, from the look of these bikes, their riders weren't the nine-to-five types of guys. Andi narrowed her eyes as she looked down at the GPS display.

"Listen you piece of crap, I asked for a gas station. Not a biker bar in the middle of nowhere." She had always had a love-hate thing going with the car's GPS. The trip from Las Vegas to Portland had gone without a hitch, she had taken her time, stopping for the night once. The trip home had been going just as great until she was about 50 miles from Vegas. Then US 95 had come to a standstill, becoming a parking lot. High winds in the area had managed to overturn at least three tractor trailer rigs, blocking all lanes of the highway. Southbound lanes were detoured to Kyle Canyon Road, a two-lane blacktop road that looped up, then down the flank of Mt Charleston. It connected back to Highway 95 on the outskirts of Las Vegas.

While it was the scenic route, taking it wasn't part of Andi's plans. With her 2015 Mustang GT running on fumes, she'd asked the GPS to locate a gas station nearby. What the damn thing had navigated her to was the Steel Pony, a rundown biker bar off of the main road. Her car idled on the shoulder of the road across from it.

"Your destination is on your left."

She gripped the steering wheel with both hands and dropped her head to the center of it. "Alright, alright," she muttered aloud, giving in to the damn GPS. With a sigh, she raised her head and checked her mirrors, before turning her car to cross the road and pull up to one of the gas pumps. She grabbed her wallet from her oversized bag on the passenger seat and pulled out her credit card. With luck, she told herself, I won't even have to go inside. Once out of the car, she looked around to be sure she was alone. Not a soul was in sight. A heavy thumping bass came from the bar next to the pumps. Andi stared at the old gas pump for two seconds before she realized just how ancient it was. There wasn't a scanner for her credit card. A small faded label on the glass front read Please Pay Inside.

"Nononono!" Andi was ready to bang her head on the damn thing. With another sigh, she gave in, knowing what she needed to do. Go into that bar and pay for her gas. Turning back to her car, she grabbed her wallet, closed the car door and locked the Mustang.

"You can do this Andi." She gave herself a pep talk as she started to the front of the bar. The thump of the bass got louder as she approached the door. Andi paused before going inside, looking again at the bikes parked in front of the building. Not too many of them, she thought, There couldn't be that many bikers inside. She did a quick count of the bikes. Only eight of them, not the dozen she had thought. Taking a deep breath and raising her chin, Andi pulled on the door, ready to brave the dark, loud interior.