Knowing his parents, they would actually do something like that than rather have people believe he was their son. Taking a deep breath, Kian readied himself for what was about to come and took the steps down one at a time. With each step, his trepidation rose. He had no idea what to expect.

As he stepped down from the last step, he cautiously approached but still kept at least a three foot distance between him and his 'family.' Suddenly, Kian looked up alarmed at the sound of someone's voice directed to him.

"And who is this?" Kian looked up at the man who spoke. He had dark brown hair and gray eyes; he was tall and muscular and from the power and authority that radiated off of him; Kian had a feeling this man was an alpha; probably one whose power trumped his father's.

Unsure of what to do, Kian swallowed the lump in his throat and looked down. Then, he heard his alpha calling him. But what shocked him was the tone of his alpha's voice. It was gentle; unlike all the other times he addressed him. And the alpha was using his actual name unlike some insulting, derogatory term.

"Kian, come over here." The alpha said in gentle tone. Kian met the alpha's gaze and forced himself not to scowl in distaste. Why now? Why look at him something other than contempt? Was it because of the other alpha standing in the foyer?

Kian nodded slightly and made his way over and stood next to his alpha. James raised his hand and Kian flinched slightly expecting his alpha to hit him. What he got, was the shock of his life. Kian mentally frowned as the alpha gently placed a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at his alpha the frown registering on his face.

"Rush, this is my youngest son, Kian." The sub watched as the other man, Rush, smiled brightly and extended a hand out to him. He was too shocked by his father's actions and the fact the he actually addressed him as his 'son' to do anything.

"Excuse his lack of manners, he's a little shy." Nikita said excusing his 'disrespect' as she gently ran her fingers through his hair. Kian looked up at her frowning and even more so when she smiled down at him. He couldn't, however, decipher if it was forced or genuine.

Interesting...

"Well, it's nice to meet you Kian. These are my sons Rory and Riley." The man, Rush said as he gently placed his hands on the shoulders of two small boys around his age. One of them was a dominant; the one he assumed to be Rory. Rory was taller than his brother and had dark hair; the colour of his father's. The dominant boy looked at least two or three years older than him.

Kian's gaze then slid to Riley and he had to force himself not to roll his eyes. He understood now what his role was. It wasn't compassion they showed; it was all for show. They were trying to make themselves look good in front of the other alpha because he had a sub son and it wouldn't look well if he knew they abused him.

Riley had dirty blond hair and gray eyes like his father. The sub smiled wide and introduced himself. "Hi, I'm Riley...but you already knew that." The boy said giving a small wave. Kian smiled despite himself. Riley had a very bright aura about him and it even succeeded him making him smile; something Kian hadn't done in weeks.

"Nice to meet you." Kian said.

"We should become friends; it'll be awesome." Riley cheered.

"Now, now, Riles. Let's not overwhelm the boy just yet." Rush warned lightly tapping his son's back.

"Oops, sorry." Riley added quickly as he chuckled before smiling to Kian again. Kian shook his head already liking the vibe he got from Riley. In truth, he kind of hoped they did get to be friends. Riley seemed like a really nice person.

Kian then stiffened as he felt the alpha move. James leaned down next to Kian.

"Why don't you take the boys and your brother and show them around?" James said then gave Kian a gentle push forward. The sub fought the urge to scowl in distaste as his parents' behaviour.

Were they so desperate for Alpha Rush to like them they would trick the man into believing they actually cared about Kian?

But that wasn't what frightened him most. It was the thought of how much control they had over him. They were pulling this off and making everyone believe they were a big happy family and Kian was absolutely powerless to tell the truth.

One slip of the tongue may end really badly for him. The pack may lose an alliance but Kian could also lose his life.

Then again, as Kian looked at Riley and saw the boy beaming with happiness, he couldn't bring himself to sour the mood any further. Complying with his alpha's wishes, Kian left the area with his brother, Riley and Rory.

Jason and Kian took the boys from Pittsburgh out back where they had a huge garden that extended into the woods. In the middle of the lawn, there was a fountain with a wolf howling and it was perched on a rock. Around the rock, water flowed down to the lower perches of the fountain.

**********

It was sundown by the time the boys were called back inside. The pack from Pittsburgh was staying for a week so, in a sense, they'd saved him.

Kian walked back into the mansion and went up to his room to shower and prepare for dinner. He wore a small smile on his face beaming with happiness. Given his parents' attitude around him while the Pittsburgh alpha and his sons were within the vicinity, he knew they wouldn't dare try to make his life a living hell.

It could have unwanted consequences.

So he was in a particularly good mood. Getting dressed quickly, Kian made his way back downstairs only to be speared to the floor.

"Kian!" Riley shouted then broke into a laugh as he scrambled off his friend. "Where were you?" Riley asked sitting back on his heels.

"I went to get dressed for dinner." The sub explained. Riley made an 'oh' sound as he got to his feet and helped Kian up.

"You took so long I thought you ran away." Riley replied honestly then chuckled as the two began walking toward the dining room. Kian laughed mostly because of how dark the idea had been. Riley meant it as a joke but to Kian, it was an option he contemplated like life and death.

But it was the fact that he was an omega and not a very strong one that kept him where he was. His father's rage only added to the reason why he never ran away. If he ever did, his father might hunt him down, bring him back and torture him twice as worse therefore ensuring he never tried it again.

His only hope was really his mate. His only hope however was that his mate wasn't some abusive bastard. He didn't think he would be able to handle a life filled with abuse. Hopefully his mate would be nice.

Taking a deep breath, Kian walked into the dining room with Riley by his side and was welcomed with bright smiles. When Pittsburgh left, those bright smiles would immediately turn into disgust filled glares and harsh words.