Chatty Cathy's Slightly Less Talkative Cousin

Start from the beginning

"I'm sensing a but," I grumbled.

"But," she said, proving me right. "You did the same to him. You and I both know what you said wasn't true. You miss him, and don't think I haven't noticed you peeking out the front windows whenever it sounds like a car is pulling up outside."

Mel reached out to clasp my hands in hers. "I'm not taking sides, Noah. I'm just trying to help you realise that you've both been wronged in life. Your parents were taken from you far sooner than they should have been. Riley's independence and freedom to live a life he carved out for himself was taken in that same moment, along with the childhood you should have had, the love and affection you should have been showered with until you were sick of it."

I didn't register I was crying until Mel wiped away a falling tear with her thumb. "Nobody can force you to call Riley to make amends. But with everything you've already lost, I'd hate for your bond with Riley to be added to the list."

Mel's words were still ringing in my ears as first period ended and I headed to my locker to grab my economics book. Not that it was much use to me; I had yet to write a single word of Mr. Phelp's lectures in it, and on top of that I'd refused to purchase a new notebook as per his mandate. It was a matter of principle. Plus it was always a bonus to see his face redden whenever I retrieved my battered and torn notebook with a flourish designed to grab his attention.

Stuffing it into my bag along with all of the other books I'd need to see the day through, I slammed my locker shut and just about leaped out of my skin.

Hand clutched to my chest, I sputtered wordlessly at Drew for a moment before the ability to speak perked back up.

"I thought we were friends" I gasped, taking a deep breath to slow the thudding beat of my heart.

"We are," Drew said, confusion marring his face. He picked my bag up from the floor where I'd dropped it during my heart attack, dirty blonde hair falling into his eyes as he did so.

"Friends don't send each other into cardiac arrest," I snapped, snatching my belongings back.

He fell into step with me as I made my way to economics, dread already a rock in the bottom of my stomach. "If you're looking for Courts, I haven't seen her yet today. I got in late."

A whopping ten minutes that got me an equally long tirade about the importance of punctuality. It took me pointing out that by discussing my tardiness, the truancy officer was only making me later than I already was. Cue the second lecture about not being such a smartass, and I'd arrived at my first period class with twenty minutes left in the lesson.

"Oh, good, because I actually wanted to talk to you about her."

I cast Drew a quizzical stare, suspicious at the nervous expression he was sporting. "You're not breaking up with her, are you? Because I swear to God, if that's why you're here, to ask me to pass on the bad news, I will hurt you."

"What? No, shit, I'm not breaking up with her." The colour drained from his face. "Wait, why is that your first assumption? Has she said something to you? Does she think I want to break up with her?"

I dodged a gaggle of sophomore girls going hysterical over the latest issue of Seventeen magazine, bumping Drew as I did so.

"Okay, what gives?" I asked, hauling him to a stop two doors down from hell, also known as economics.

Blowing out a frustrated breath, Drew seemed to regain some of his composure. "Has Courtney said anything to you?"

I arched an eyebrow. "She says lots of things to me. I'm sure we speak enough words to fill a novel on a daily basis, so you're going to have to be just a little more specific."