Chapter Three

Evie blinked a few times. Her vision was blurry, but she could see the warm glow of the small fire to her left. Underneath her, she could feel Falcon's warm fur. This feeling was familiar to Evie. With no real home, Miles and her had to keep warm in a hidden place, often in a forest somewhere without a cot or blankets. Those were too much to travel with all day. Falcon and Vixen allowed the two of them to sleep against them which made sleeping on the ground much more comfortable. She blinked a few more times as her vision began to clear.

     As Evie sat up, Falcon shifted slightly in his sleep, pushing her slightly with his front hoof. A small jolt of pain shot through her side causing her to wince. She put her hand on her side and felt a tight bandage around the top area of her chest. If not for that bandage, Evie knew the pain would probably be a lot worse than what she felt. Her forearm where she was bit, was bandaged and thankfully it didn't bother her much.

      "Hey," Miles said from the other side of the fire, "How are you feeling?"

      Miles looked tired from what Evie could tell as she looked through the fire, at him.

      Evie sighed, "I could be better. But then again, I could be worse." She managed to smile tiredly. "Thanks for helping me, but I totally could've handled it myself," She said sarcastically with a smirk.

      Miles laughs, "oh really? It really looked like you had it completely under control." He gestured to her bandaged arm and side.

     "Aye! I did!," Evie crosses her arm defiantly with a smile.

     Miles rolls his eyes and chuckles. "I think you're full of yourself."

     "Just slightly," she shrugs.

     Miles' smile faded and he looked down at the ground. This made Evie confused. What was troubling him?  The heat from the fire distorted his face, making it hard for her to read his expression. she lowered her arms back down to her side, sensing the playful energy come to an end.

     "In the morning we are going to travel to Wakesdale. Your arm needs stitches and I don't have the supplies or skill to  do it myself", He finally said as he ran a hand through his dirty blonde hair.

     Now she knew what was wrong. Miles vowed to protect his little sister at all costs and became upset when he wasn't able to. But traveling to a town full of guards and being two of the most wanted criminals in the kingdom with wanted posters hung all over the five surrounding districts, wasn't  exactly the most logical plan.

     "Wakesdale?... they'll be sure to know who we are...," Evie replied, worried, "There are "wanted" posters over the entire kingdom including Wakesdale!"

     "I know...," he nods slowly and stares at the fire, "I know. But without proper treatment, we will have bigger problems then just the bite."

     Bigger problems? Like what? Questions flooded Evie's mind. Miles normally was over protective, but this was a new low for him. Her arm was fine. It only hurt slightly. Evie had dealt with way worse than that.

     Miles interrupted her thoughts with a sigh, "get some sleep. We will leave early tomorrow." He glances up at Evie through the fire with a look resembling a pleading puppy, "And please... please don't argue... I'll figure everything out, don't worry."

     Evie knew arguing with her brother would get her no where. His mind was made up and it was final. She simply replied with a nod and laid back against Falcon, closing her eyes.