T E M P T E D {ch 5 - Challenges, Courage and Caring}

Start from the beginning

"Yes. You weren't informed? Music is split into differing instruments and skill level. Year level has nothing to do with it."

Her face fell and she glanced to the door she would have to go through.

"This isn't going to be fun," she muttered under her breath before raising her chin, displaying confidence, and striding into the other room.

"And you? Do you have a specialty?" he asked me, his voice hopeful. Obviously he was expecting a friend of Fox's to be similarly talented. Boy, was he in for a disappointment.

"Erm, no. I have no specialty. I've always wanted to learn the drums though..."

He frowned and once again looked through his briefcase. "Can you read a sheet of music?"

"No."

"Music Instruction, Beginner!" He shut his briefcase with a snap. "First door here to your right," he pointed to the door.

I followed his directions and pushed open the door. Inside were three other students, none of which I recognised. There were two males and one female. She gave me a shy smile.

"Well hello," said one of the males. "I am liking the start to this new year already." He smirked at me, waiting for a response. I ran my eyes over him, long, slim build, ivory complexion and a lot of shaggy black hair that was spiked up in some places. His expression told me one thing; he believed himself to be a god. I looked him up and down again, to be sure that he knew I was studying him, and then snorted and looked away. Let's see how his ego handled that blow.

"Ah, playing hard to get, are we? No worries, I adore a challenge." He leaned back in his chair and kicked the seat next to him so it scraped backward. "If you're so unaffected then you won't mind taking this seat next to me." He grinned cockily.

I laughed out loud and wandered to the back of the room to take a seat next to the other girl.

"Hi, I'm Haezel." I said cheerfully.

She turned to me and gave me the same small smile. Her dark brown hair framed her face, making her seem even more timid.

"I'm Tori. That sucks for you," she said, nodding her head toward the guy who now had his feet up on the table, iPod in. he was totally unfazed that I had rejected him.

"Eh? Why is that?" Was the guy I'd ignored some kind of son of an important person and, by insulting him, I'd made a fearful enemy? My imagination was going a little bit too wild.

"That's Vance. He is the most competitive person I've ever known. He won't lose this challenge you've set up, it's impossible for him." Suddenly this meek little girl was the school gossip. I stared at her, amused.

"If he's so competitive, how'd he end up in this class? The beginner's beginner class for music."

She rolled her eyes. "He doesn't give a damn how well he goes in music. All he wants to do is act." She turned her gaze to the back of Vance's head. "I'll be honest. He's a pretty good actor."

I looked at him as well, unable to believe that the guy could act like a gallant gentleman. His demeanour would in no way fit his character. I was about to speak my doubts when a tall flustered woman came through the door.

"Oh, so sorry that I'm late. And for the first class too. I'm not giving a good example am I?"

Vance pulled out his headphones and pulled his feet down, leaning forward. "You know that we're not bothered by it, Ms. Rose. Don't worry yourself over it, it doesn't make you any less of a great teacher." I could imagine a sincere expression on his face. He did sound like he was being truthful, but the words didn't fit the guy I'd been introduced to when I'd walked in.