Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - November 1992 - Sebastian and Tess

Sebastian Irons watched as the moving crew carefully hung his beloved Andy Warhol painting in the family room of Sutton Castle. Tess stood beside him, her arm wrapped around his waist. "I have to admit, it looks much better hanging up there than the other painting," Tess said.

"I've missed it," he agreed, beaming with pride. "This is our home now. It belongs here. I am a little sad to sell the condo in New Jersey, though."

"I am too, but it was the right thing to do. I don't see us traveling very much with a new baby and you are still getting used to running this place."

Two other men carried a new sofa through the open mahogany double doors. "Where would you like this, sir?"

"Here is fine," Sebastian replied, pointing to the empty space in front of the fireplace. He was happy they decided to re-decorate the room. He and his growing family spent most of their time here and he wanted the room to feel modern and comfortable. Louis XV furniture might look lovely in a museum, but it wasn't cut out to take the beating of everyday use.

"Don't suppose you can make one of the rooms a gym so I can loose this baby weight?" Tess inquired.

Sebastian pulled his wife into an embrace and whispered in her ear. "I like the baby weight. You look sexy." He kissed her on the lips. The sound of a man clearing his throat killed their passionate moment. "Yes, Smyth?" he asked, his eyes closed, his back turned to their butler.

"My lord, the movers have finished. Would you like me to bring in the tea?"

"That would be fine."

The butler left the couple alone. Tess looked around at the transformation. "It's come together nicely. I should go get Mom and Mattie."

"Okay, love."

Kate Hamilton had finally decided to make the move to England when Tess had become pregnant with William. It gave Tess peace of mind to know her mother was so close. Kate could put her pediatric nursing skills to use helping to take care of the kids. Sebastian was happy to have her there. The castle was huge and he was determined to fill it with love and laughter, changing the stigma the building held in his past.

Smyth entered the room carrying a silver tray holding the tea service. He set it down on the coffee table and poured four cups. He served Tess, Kate, Mattie, and then Sebastian. He waited dutifully for them to take the first sip of tea.

Tess looked up and smiled. "Thank you, Smyth. That will be all."

With a curt nod of the head, he said, "Yes, my lady."

Sebastian frowned. He hated when Smyth referred to Tess as 'my lady.' It reminded him of Lily.

Tess noticed his scowl, leaned in to Sebastian's ear, and said. "Don't be angry. He's just doing his job."

"I know, but I don't have to like it."

"How is your tea, Mattie?" Kate asked.

"Delicious! Cook makes it better than Harrods," she replied, happily munching on a biscuit.

"Be sure to tell Cook. You'll have her eating out of the palm of your hand," Sebastian added.

Mattie began to laugh. "That's funny, Daddy." Then she turned to Kate. "Grandmom, I can take you shopping at Harrods. We can buy some Christmas presents."

"That sounds fun, Mattie. But we need to celebrate Thanksgiving first."

William's cries broadcast over the baby monitor. "I'll get him," Tess said standing from the sofa and placing her tea cup on the tray.