Chapter 6

I led Lucy to San Diego Oceanside Pier, which was a short ride from my house. Her skills on her penny board were impressive, but I often had to stop riding and start again, losing my balance. I loved watching her blonde hair blow back in the wind, revealing her soft face. We made some small talk, but it seemed that she liked to poke fun at my rusty riding abilities.

There weren't too many people walking down the pier, but most of them were older. Since we were supposed to be in school, there obviously weren't any people our age there. We stepped off of the penny boards and held them to our sides as we walked.

"I could go for some ice cream," Lucy stated.

"Ice cream? At ten-thirty in the morning?" I asked with a small laugh.

"It's practically noon! I mean, I could go for ice cream anytime," she answered, lightly touching my arm.

"Alright. My treat to you for getting me out of my house," I said, pulling my wallet from my pocket. I always kept it on me.

We found our way to a little ice cream stand. The woman behind it smiled and said, "What can I get for you?"

"I'll get a chocolate," Lucy replied.

"Me, too."

"That'll be three dollars and fifty cents," the woman said. I handed her the money, and we waited as she scooped the cold treats into cones. When finished, she handed them to us with a, "Have a nice day."

Lucy and I both replied, "Thank you."

We continued walking down the long pier until we found a bench to sit on.

"Harry, we're friends now, right?" Lucy asked.

"Sure, I guess."

"Then I can ask you. Why don't you ever talk in school?"

"Lucy, you've already asked me that," I stated.

"I have?" She looked confused.

"Well, when you were drunk."

"Oh. Sorry, I don't remember..." She said, using a high inflection at the end, as if she was asking her original question again.

"I don't know, no one really ever talks to me. I haven't really connected with anyone," I answered.

"Really? It seems like you've connected with me!" Lucy paused from eating her ice cream, and pulled a folded piece of paper from her pocket, ready to read it aloud.

Noticing it was my poem, I pleaded, "Oh, God, Lucy. Please don't read that. Please don't read that!"

Ignoring me, she started, "'Whenever there is a cloudy day, you should never feel lonely.'"

"Lucy, please!" I begged, my cheeks flushing with red.

"'For the sun is always still there, waiting to pour its joy down on you.'"

"Lucy, please stop!"

"'Lucy is my sun.'" Her lips formed a small smile.

"This is really embarrassing," I stated.

"'Her smile. Her laugh. Her voice. Her eyes.'"

"I'm begging you!"

"'Even when the sun just can't shine anymore, I will be fine.'"

I hung my head down, ready to hear the end.

Lucy's voice became softer and she looked up at me when she read, "'Because Lucy shines brighter.'"

As I lifted my head, our eyes met. She had the most beautiful ones I had ever seen.

"Lucy, please don't be freaked out," I said, breaking the silence.

"No, no, it's just, no one's ever said something this great to me.. and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to kiss you."

I was speechless. She leaned in, ready to lock lips. As we got closer I panicked.

"You've got chocolate on your nose." Looking into her eyes, I wiped it off with my thumb for her.

"I- I gotta go," she said, shaking her head and standing up. Her face went pale, like she was heartbroken that I rejected her kiss.

"Lucy, wait."

But it was too late. She picked up the black penny board and rode off on the orange one, without saying anything else.

I stood up and tossed my ice cream in the nearby trash bin. "Dammit," I said under my breath in aggravation.

Lucy had left behind the pice of paper that had the poem typed on it. I picked it up from the bench and crumpled it in my hands as I ran to the end of the pier. I threw the wad of paper into the ocean, and began to walk back home to my house.

****

"Alright, it's looking good," the doctor said as he fitted the splint to my sore nose. "You'll have to keep it on for a week. We want that honker of yours to heal well, but it's not too damaged."

"Thank you, Dr. Scott," Mum said, standing to shake his hand. I stood and did the same.

"Take care now; I'll be seeing you in a little over a week," he replied, opening the door for us to walk to the lobby.

At the front desk, Mum signed some papers, then we headed out the door and to the car.

"My nose isn't that big, is it?" I asked, feeling a bit embarrassed about my "honker."

"Don't ask me, you got it from your father! But I think it's fine, sweetie. Oh, and listen. I want you to go back to school. Dr. Scott didn't seem all too worried about you, so you should be fine."

"Thanks, Mum. I've just been wanting to go so I could experience my last few days of high school."

Not only that, but I needed to see Lucy again. I needed to talk to her, and I hoped she wasn't upset with what happened earlier that day.