Chapter 5: GLaDOS I'm Home

The elevator made clanging noises as it slowly descended downwards to GLaDOS's chamber. Rooms passed by the glass as it went. They were dirty and broken. It was almost like when Wheatley woke her up. Everything was old and useless. Some windows were shattered and tests were barely functional. There were turrets that had fallen on their side and deactivated.

"How could GLaDOS let it get this bad again?" She wondered as the elevator slowed down even more. It stopped on one of the floors the turrets had been on when they sang to her. She pressed the button to go down but the elevator didn't budge. She had to make her way down through the center again. The nostalgia of the situation angered her. Why can it never be easy?

She thanked herself silently for bringing the portal gun. Otherwise, she could never get around the facility. She made it from broken room to broken room using the portal surfaces. She climbed through a broken window and felt a searing pain in her leg as a shard scraped her skin causing her to jump back a little into more glass. She growled at nothing in particular and stepped away scraping her back and leg even more. She rolled her eyes and wiped the blood off.

She wandered a while longer until she reached a set of doors leading to a staircase. She tried to open them but they were locked.  She pushed and pulled but they didn't move. That wasn't about to stop her. She picked up a piece of concrete that had fallen from the wall and slammed it down on the door handle. The lock broke free.

Pushing the doors aside, she ran down the stairs and entered GLaDOS's chamber. There she was, but she didn't look the same. She looked broken, twitching every now and again with sparks flying at every sudden convulsion. The feeling of despair creeping through the room sent shivers down Chell's spine. A million thoughts ran through her head. How could this have happened? Why? What's wrong with GLaDOS? What happened to Aperture?

Just then GLaDOS turned to look at her, sending more sparks flying from her robotic body. The yellow lens of her solitary eye had cracked and almost completely fallen apart. "Chell?" Her mechanical voice echoed in the circular room, "You've come back."