Geralt

The damp landscape of Velen was never a pleasant one, the dull views and grey skies made the rest of the world a small paradise, the fields where dotted with dying trees, trying to hold onto the last leaves of Autumn, the grass growing to its best with the rain fall but not adding much colour to the surrounding wastelands.The winds blew harder than Geralt would have liked for the time of year, his black heavy cloak kept him warm, but it wasn't the cold that bothered him. He knew better than anyone that the winds didn't twist and turn as they were doing this time of year. Something was unsettled. He noticed the lack of life and he pulled his horse Roach to a walking speed. He sensed something inside him but didn't know what, a deep pulling towards home, he continued his journey despite his feelings, he knew this contract needed to be finished, he wanted his reward for all the effort he had put in to killing the old griffin near the hill tower, that no man in the town nearby seemed to want to even attempt. Put the witcher's life in danger, no one will miss him. The more he thought about it the more he began to think it was true, He'd been a witcher for nearly a century now and not once had Geralt ever remembered going through a village, town or city without the stares of the people, the hated remarks and yet when it came to it, they all wanted him to sort out their problems when the need arrises.

The path was windy and cold, little happiness spread through the dull tress and fields as he rode past. The feeling he had before still lingered with him, it was a dull feeling but something he'd never really felt before.

The Guards who stood by the bridge of Crows Perch watched as he rode by and across the bridge, the guard on the other side paid him no different respects, nor did Geralt expect them to. He made his way up the hill to the keep, the armourer clanking on metal, merchants trying to get any coin they could, guards fatter than their fathers walking along the paths side by side. It was not Novigrad and everyone knew so. Geralt passed a mother taking her child away from the path, though the child stopped and stared at the sight of Geralt. Jumping down from Roach he took the reins and walked him by his side until he saw the man he sought.

The Sergeant stood proudly but not very tall, his scarred face mangled from what Geralt could only imagine as bar brawls, the thought of this man fighting a war was the last thing Geralt could imagine. He stopped behind his and cleared his throat.

"Ah witcher, so glad you've returned to us unharmed an' all that" his mouth dripped with the type of sarcasm Geralt would normally walk over but the strange nature of the day left him too drained to even bother.

"Spare me your remarks, I'm here for my reward, the beasts head is on the horse" The sergeant looked passed Geralt to behold the griffins head tied messily to the side of his horse.

"Very well witcher as you wish, wont be hearin' no more from the likes of him will we?"

"Hard to say, the one you sent me to kill was old, few months and he would've been on his way out anyway, doesn't mean another wont fly over"

"Well if it does you'll hear about it" Geralt sighed, he wanted no more than to be out of this town and on his way back to Kaer Morhen. Geralt took his coin and headed on his way, travelling back though the death valley of Velen.

It took Geralt a week to ride back to Kaer Morhen, he did not stop at inns, or give his horse a break apart from watering and feeding. Something inside him told him to get back, he let Roach walk to the grass once he'd gone through the main gate. Picking up speed he walked into the fortress, the main hall dimly lit with crates everywhere, the dark stone floor giving an almost red hue to the room. The fires where burning, the candles lit, Geralt smelt cooking meat and wine. Winter had come that was for sure. The icy breeze came through the keep, the broken side of the castle being their downfall. He wasted no time in finding everyone sat around a table in the dinning hall. Vesemir was the first to stand and greet him.

"Geralt! What a time it has been, months even!" They briefly hugged each other, His scent oh so familiar to Geralt. There was something wrong he knew, the others, Lambert and Eskel, remained quiet continuing to stare at their plates.

"What's going on?" There was no point holding the silence when it craved to be broken.

"Ask Vesemir" Lambert snapped back quickly but quietly as if there was something not to be awoken. Geralt turned to look at Vesemir waiting for an answer but the older man just sighed. "Well go on tell him, tell him how you went behind our backs to mutated that bitch"

"Mutated who?" Geralt was slowly growing impatient with the lack of answer to his question, but finally Vesemir turned to him.

"I found a girl who had come too close to the fortress, she was wounded, she managed to drag herself near enough to the main gate for me to notice her, the other two were sorting out our last forktail problem so I brought her inside to help her with the wound but..."

"But?" There was a short silence again that made Geralt sit down, this was clearly going to last longer than he wished.

"But her wounds were too great, I told her there may be little chance she'd last another week, the girl begged me to help her, said she had something she needed to do, that it couldn't wait, she asked me to do anything I could to save her, so I did my best, gave her potions to heal her and luckily she came through it and started to heal, then she started to realise where she was. Change me she said, make me into a witcher I know I have the strength to fight the mutation. I said no but the girl was persistent so-"

"So he gave her what she wanted" Lambert's anger was loud and clear but Geralt ignored him and turned back to Vesemir.

"One, did she survive and two what made you even consider this? Especially to a woman, that's never been done, ever."

"She did survive, better than many of the boys we've had over the years too...and to be honest Geralt...she reminded me of you"

"Even has the white hair" Eskel's first comment didn't go amiss to Geralt.

"Where is she now?"

"I put her in your room as Lambert and Eskel were unwilling, plus you have the top floor, its larger and more welcoming, she stays in there most of the time, she does eat but only when we've finished and moved on, and she's ventured outside but kept her distance from those two, I've spoken to her a few time about her senses and how she feels."

"I guess its about time she met that man who's bed she's in then" Geralt stood and began to walk toward the stairwell.

"Geralt, be gentle with her"

Geralt made his way up the winding stone steps to the top room, he paused a moment before entering, taking a breath he walked inside. The room was warm, comforting, the fire filled with dancing flames, the candles flickering, the scent of lavender and citrus made clear that there was a woman in here, so different from the usual sandalwood and pine he used. Then he saw her, she had turned to look at him and stood there as still as stone. She had a thin waist which curved into her hips, her face was stern and gentle at the same time, she wore tight hunting trousers tucked into brown boots that reached above her knees and a large shirt which Geralt soon realised was his. But most of all he noticed her eyes, they were like the colour of ice staring at him and her hair just as Eskel said was as white as his, falling down past her breasts. She was beautiful and for a moment Geralt didn't want to say anything, he wanted her to remain as she was, but he knew better.

"My names Geralt, this is my room" the girl seemed to just keep staring until she finally everted her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'll go" She spoke quietly but didn't have a high pitched voice like most girls he'd had in his room.

"No, no stay please, I'll just sleep on the chair over there if that's alright with you." the girl nodded, took of her boots and got into bed and watched as Geralt undid his cloak and hung it up.

"My name is Kida" Geralt let himself fall asleep his journey finally taking it's toll of him.

Kida remained awake for some time, uneasy about the other witcher in the room. She could see him clearly, even in the dark her new eyes adjusted to find him, watching the steady rise and fall of his chest.