"Thank you for your time David."

David waved his hand in the air before he vanished around the corner. Ben returned his attentions to Laura, the possibility of a breakthrough now very real. He watched intently as she intertwined her fingers and then untangled them, she bit down on her bottom lip and released it again, all the while her eyes avoiding direct contact with him.

"So Laura," Ben broke the ice, "Shall we go to your office or would you prefer to stay here?"

"My office, I think… if that’s okay with you?"

"Sure, wherever you feel the most comfortable is just fine with me."

He gestured with his arm for her to lead the way, a smile remained on his lips, hoping she would stay calm and not feel intimidated. The last thing he needed now was for her to clam up on him. Laura held her breath for a few seconds before setting out for her office, Ben trailing behind her. She led him across the walkway and through an open door a few feet down the hall.

"Come in, make yourself comfortable," she instructed him and then closed the door behind them.

Ben took in the details of the room; only the scattering of a few carefully placed d’Arcy Doyle prints and Laura’s CPA degree and registration broke the blandness of the pale cream walls. Her desk was rather mundane, made of melamine, it appeared quite tacky compared to the stature of the conference room. A large bookcase spanning from floor to ceiling stood gallantly behind her leather chair. For the size of it, there didn’t seem to be too many books inside. Maybe she was still stocking it, there were a few boxes sitting on the floor in the corner of the room, Ben could see at least one book spine through the crack in the cardboard flaps.

"Please excuse the mess," Laura said, taking a seat behind her desk. "I’ve recently moved office and I’m still working on the homey touches."

"It looks just fine to me," Ben lied, pulling out a chair. He eased himself into the stiff, thinly cushioned seat and pulled his notebook out. "So tell me about Tessa, I can’t help but feel that there is more to your acquaintance with her than just business." Ben studied her face intently.

She hung her head, tears welling in her eyes. "I wasn’t her accountant… I lied about her being a prospective client." She reached for a tissue and held it scrunched up in her hand, she then dabbed her eyes lightly.

"Go on."

"You’ll have to forgive me Detective, this is rather personal and I am ashamed of even having to speak of it," her eyes glanced up at him before falling back to the floor. "Tessa was a… friend, of my husband’s."

"Can you define friend, for me Laura?" Ben gently pushed her; he needed to be certain that he actually understood what she was saying. He wanted clarity; one incorrect assumption could be disastrous to the case.

"Must I spell it out for you? This is awkward enough as it is." Her discomfort was obvious.

"I’m sorry, but it’s important that I have all the facts. I really don’t mean to put you through this, but it’s essential that every detail is crystal clear."

Laura lost control of her emotions; tears fell from her eyes and rolled down her cheeks leaving a damp trail in her make-up. Ben couldn’t help but feel her anguish; he leaned over, grabbed a fresh tissue from the box and handed it to her. She accepted it, gratitude evident on her face. A sigh escaped her and she sat upright in her chair, pulling herself together.

"I’ve know about her for a while now…"

"Tessa?"

"Yes."