Trap?

Early the next morning Chase finds herself out the front of a vandalised building. She approaches the front door and rings the bell for the third floor. She steps back from the door and leans on the brick wall waiting for the door to open. Not long after the ringing of the bell the oak door opens. A thin face appears through the crack.

“Jenkins,” Chase smiles pleasantly “how nice it is to see you again.”

The thin faced man narrows his eyes at her “Last time you almost got me into a lot of trouble Miss Shadows.”

“I did apologise about that didn’t I? Plus you got payed double so what are you complaining about?”

“I suppose you have a point,” he muses, opening the door to allow her in.

“Glad I do,” she smirks, slipping inside the building “Got anything for me?”

“Not much unfortunately,” Jenkins admits, climbing the first flight of stairs “care to come up?”

“Might as well,” Chase shrugs, following him up.

When they reach the third floor door Jenkins stops and looks a little embarrassed.

“You’ll have to excuse the mess, I don’t have much time to clean you realise.”

Chase shrugs again and follows him into the large room. She soon finds herself skirting paper and book stacks. She stops at a stack of books with symbols engraved on the covers “got anything on symbols that may be of use?”

“Symbols? Why are you interested in those?” comes a muffled reply.

“It’s a hobby of mine,” Chase answers continuing toward the muffled voice.

“And here I thought Necromancers were only interested in death,” Jenkins mutters, not noticing that she was now standing directly behind him.

“Most of us are,” she nods, causing Jenkins to jump “although since the failed Deathbringer there have been some changes in the community.”

Jenkins nods his head absentmindedly as he searches his paper laden desk for the information Chase had come for.

“You know in all the time I’ve known you I would have thought that you’d have at least tidied up your desk,” Chase comments, staring at the papers over his shoulder.

“I don’t tell you how to live your life, so don’t tell me how to live mine,” he grunts, sifting through the pages.

“I was only saying,” she sighs, sitting in the office chair.

He mutters an inaudible reply and continues digging through the pages. Minutes of digging later Jenkins lets out a cry of triumph and pulls a pair of stapled pages out from a dangerously built stack on the edge of his desk. Chase looks over his shoulder and tugs the pages from his hand.

“It’s not much,” she states skimming the pages.

“I scoured everything I have and when I asked my Sanctuary contacts they wouldn’t breathe a word to me.”

“Must have been fairly important then,” she murmurs, folding the papers “thanks for the info.”

When she’s halfway to the door, Chase is stopped by a tap on her shoulder.

"Aren’t you forgetting something Miss Shadows?”

Realisation lights up in her eyes and she retrieves his payment from her inner coat pocket. After giving him his payment the necromancer was quick to exit the building. Behind her she could hear Jenkins mutter something while pocketing the cash.