Chapter 1: What They Hid

The stream trickled by, and gnats bunched up in swarms in the distance. Songbirds chirped a sweet melody as they flapped by me, dancing in the air. The sun filtered through the leaves and branches, warming my skin under its rays. My fingers absentmindedly toyed with my (h/c) hair, twirling it and combing through it.

This was my first time in Gravity Falls, Oregon. My younger siblings, Dipper and Mabel, went here every year to visit our great uncle Stan. Last year though, his long lost brother, Ford, returned from God knows where. I never bothered to ask him. Ford was secretive, and I knew that I probably wouldn't get anything out of him anyways. Stan was the same way, but his secrets seemed to be more involved with the law. As in, he broke it quite often.

I bit the inside of my cheek as I layed back on a large boulder I was perched on. Its rough texture and hot surface was surprisingly comfortable, and I sighed in content. My hand draped over the side, and I felt the grass beneath it, the silky strands weaving between my fingers. A soft and fragile object brushed underneath my palm, and I plucked it from the ground, holding it up to my face. A white flower. I smiled softly, placing it in my hair, and closing my eyes.

This place was weird. Gravity Falls wasn't your average town. Years ago, Grunkle Ford wrote three books, each of which contained things you'd only ever see in movies. Creatures, myths, legends, you name it. According to him, they all existed in this very area. I always believed in those things, so naturally I loved the thought. I still had yet to read the books cover to cover, but when I had the time, I'd flip to a random page, and discover a new cryptid to read about. I haven't seen any yet, but I wanted to find at least something in the time I was here this summer.

"(Y/N)!" My great uncle Ford called. I sat up on my rock, yelling back a quick, "Coming!" before hopping down and hiking back to the Mystery Shack. The shack itself was in poor condition. The 'S' in 'Shack' had fallen off, the shingles were in need of repair, and the wood was chipping away. Overall though, it was a very cozy cabin and I enjoyed staying there. I pushed open the door, the bells jingling as I did, and Stan ran into the room with an excited face. It quickly disappeared as he grunted, "Oh, it's just you." I stuck my tongue out at him, and he came up beside me, ruffling my hair, "Eh, I'm just kiddin', kid! Glad that you could make it this summer!" He hobbled out of the store and into the living room, and I looked down, staring at the white flower that he pushed out of my hair. Mabel would like this. I thought, picking it up with a small smile.

I made my way into the living room, and observed the sight. Mabel's body was hanging off the side of the couch and she was mid-conversation with her chubby pig, Waddles; Dipper was laying on the floor with three of Ford's journals scattered around him; Grunkle Stan was slouched on the recliner, his face wrinkles scrunched into boredom; Ford was nowhere to be seen; and Soos was on a ladder installing some kind of light.

Dipper was the first to notice my existence, and waved at me, "Hey, dork!" I waved back sarcastically, throwing in a "Hey, nerd!" before plopping down next to him on the carpet. I snagged the journal with a large black '3' on it and opened to a random page. Ford's writing covered it as I read a segment about his 'Muse'. Odd. Apparently this Muse had been giving him insight on things that would happen, and they'd come true. I had the urge to ask him, and I got up from my spot next to Dip, exploring the shack. I found my great uncle in the kitchen working on a little gadget, and my grip on journal 3 tightened.

"Hiya, Grunkle Ford!" I chirped, leaning over his shoulder. He didn't even flinch as he continued to tinker with what seemed like a futuristic gun. "What's up, (Y/N)?" I set the book down, opening to the page I read and pointing at the word 'Muse'. "What's this?" I asked. He went stiff as he stared at the page, and he swallowed hard. He put his hand on the journal and slid it towards him, and away from me. In a low tone, he responded, "I think you should stay away from this journal, (Y/N)..."

"But-"

"No buts."

"You let Dipper read it all the time!"

He slammed his hand on the table, the gun rattling and I jumped back, my eyes wide. "I-I'm so sorry-" He swung his head to look at me, and a hatred burned in his eyes. I had never seen this side of him before.

"Now you listen to me right now," He threatened, "He is pure evil! You may not have been here to witness the apocalypse last year, but he could've killed us all!" I shrunk back, nodding frantically.

Wait a minute.

Apocalypse?

I looked back at Ford, who was tinkering with the machine again, and I turned around, walking back to the living room in shame. I plopped down next to my younger brother again, and he looked up from one of the journals. "You good?" An idea struck me right at that moment.

"You've read journal 3, right?" I asked. He nodded with a big smile.

"Of course! Inside and out!" Then he paused, narrowing his eyes. "What's this about?" I shrugged as casually as possible,

"Ford wrote something about a 'Muse', and I was curious to know about it." Dipper shifted uneasily in his spot, closing the journal and delicately setting it down next to him.

"We should've told you," Dipper mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"Told me what? What are you guys hiding from me?" I asked, anger rising in my throat.

"It-it's a long story..."

"Oh boy, here we go..." Mabel sighed, booping Waddles' face. Was I the only one who was unaware of last year? And what was Ford talking about with that whole 'apocalypse' thing? And what about Ford just appearing out of nowhere last year?? Not to mention that no one in the shack wanted to tell me where he was! Dipper placed his hands on my shoulders and shook me out of my thoughts, looking me in the eyes, "Last year, a demon... tried to take over the world." My eyes widened. "Apparently the reason that Gravity Falls is such a hot spot for oddities is because there's a dimensional rip just sitting below the town. And along with the weirdness came... another threat." My brother looked back at the others, who were all staring at him intently. He continued, "His name is Bill Cipher. He's a master at manipulating minds, and he used that power to tear the dimension even more. If it weren't for the prophecy... we would all be dead."

I couldn't believe my ears. There's no way that happened, right? My siblings... My baby brother and sister... they hid this from me? The entire time? How... how could they?! I clenched my fists, tears pricking in the corner of my eyes.

"Hey dudes!" Soos called from the top of the ladder, and everyone paused to look up at him. He hit a button on the light he had just installed, and it came to life, rainbows flashing and filling the room with color. "Woo! Party!" He yelled, fist bumping the air. It was dead silent. He clicked his tongue, "Welp, this is awkward."

I was so done with this. I pushed passed everyone in the room and stormed out of the shack. I could hear Dipper and Mabel calling urgently for me, but I didn't look back. I needed to blow off some steam, and the forest was my only option.