Happily Ever After

It hasn't been four minutes of me drowsing off to sleep, when I heard one of the twins crying. I got up off the couch and walked into their room. Jacquie was screaming for some reason, maybe something frightened her? I don't know, but I still picked her up out of her crib and sat on the rocking chair. Her soft skin was turning slightly red by how much she was crying. She bawled out loud, curling her little hands into fists. I started to rock back and forth at a slow pace, but that didn't seem to help much. Then I remembered, a lullaby I once heard and fell completely in love with.

Softly, I began singing to my little baby girl.

"Come stop your crying, it will be alright. Just take my hand, hold it tight. I will protect you, from all around you. I will be here, don't you cry...

For one so small, you seem so strong, my arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm. This bond between us... can't be broken. I will be here, don't you cry..."

Soon enough, Jacquie has started to doze off, so I put her back in her crib and walked out. I thought about the lyrics of the song as I made my way back over to the couch. It reminded me of how I would feel when Dallas would hold me. I felt tears well up in my eyes while thinking of that time.

No, I'm not going to cry over someone who doesn't deserve my tears. As my dad once told me, "Dry up your tears and save them for someone who deserves them."

Dallas is just not that guy. I thought he was, but I guess he just used me for the one thing he likes, Sex. Now look at me, for being stupid, I ended up with two babies. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death, but I'm just too young. I'm still 16, going on 17 in a few weeks.

I sighed and turned on the tv. A movie was on, I think I've seen it before. Stella Dallas.

Well, since there's nothing else to watch, I guess this will have to do. I pulled the blanket over my cold body and began watching the movie. It had my favorite actor in it. Near the end, I was already crying.

The mother was watching her own daughter getting married through the window. Then, the cop came and started shooing everybody away.

"You too, mam" the cop said. The mother turned to cop with tears streaming down her face.

"Oh, just a little while longer, please" she pleaded, which brought more tears to my eyes. She wasn't there to witness the whole wedding from inside, because if people found out that the girl was her daughter, they wouldn't allow the two to get married. And the mother only wanted what was best for her daughter. I wiped my eyes.

Then, the mother turned away slowly and began walking away with a smile on her face, knowing her daughter will be alright with her new husband. Oh my god, I'm so emotional for these kind of movies. I dried my eyes and quickly checked the time. Barely midnight. I sighed and got up. There's nothing else to do and both the babies are asleep, so I guess I'll just go to bed.

I turned off the tv and went to my room, which was right across from the babies' room. For a moment, it felt nice that I've got my own place to sleep with my beautiful twins. And I did this by myself. If only dad was still here, I bet he would be so proud of me, well not about getting pregnant at this age, but at everything else.

If he was still here, he would help me with the babies and everything. I got settled in my soft bed and quickly went to sleep. Tomorrow, I have to go but groceries and do all this other stuff. Maybe I can even get another job to pay for the bills and stuff.

~*<3*~

I woke up abruptly to the sound of someone walking through the hallway. Fear struck throughout my shaking body. A robber broke in, what if he hurts my babies?! I won't live with myself if he does. What to do? I don't even have a gun or anything, what do I use? There's nothing here in my room except my clothes, my shoes, and a bedside lamp.