I glanced at Steve.

"Steve bought it. Just like he bought the water heater." I said quietly, but loud enough for Steve to hear.

Fiona finished putting in Hector's number and smiled gratefully at him.

"Thank you." She said as he hurried back to his truck, getting in and driving away.

*

"Debs, Jess and Ian, start taking things out of the fridge and putting them into these coolers." Fiona commanded the three of us, sliding drink coolers in our direction. Ian opened up the fridge and Debs and I made an assembly line, Ian handing the stuff to me, me handing them to Debs, and Debs putting them in the cooler filled with fresh ice.

Fiona watched us by the counter, Steve next to her.

"I can't believe I forgot to pay the electric bill." She said.

"I can give you the money if you want." said Steve.

I rolled my eyes as I took the milk from Ian.

"No, no, don't do that...I've been so distracted lately, I feel like I've forgotten to do so much." Fi continued.

Getting annoyed with this conversation, I turned to face them both.

"Maybe Steve is the one distracting you." I said to Fiona. She gave me a thoughtful look, and I winked at Steve, quickly turning back to Ian, satisfied with myself.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Fiona started walking, but I stopped her.

"I'll get it."

I went through the living room to the front door and opened it. Lip's weird Asian friend Warren, stood there.

"Jessica." He said, using my full name.

"Warren." I replied.

"Where's Lip?" He asked.

"Up in his room." I opened the door wider so he could come inside and he walked quickly up the stairs to Lip's room.

I shut the door and walked back into the kitchen. Fiona and Steve were helping Debs now and Ian was getting his coat.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"Work. Come on, we're gonna be late!"

*

The first thing we heard when we arrived at the Kash and Grab was Linda screaming at Kash.

"What's wrong, Linda?" I asked.

She turned to look at us.

"Good, you two are here. The inventory is off. The shoplifting is getting out of hand."

I cocked my head and gave her a confused look.

"Shoplifting?" I personally have never seen any shoplifting taking place in here, either because I wasn't paying attention or I wasn't at work at the time of the crime.

"Yes, shoplifting. It's getting to be too much." Linda faced Kash again.

"Do we need to get the secruity cameras fixed? Because that's a 2,500 dollar bill we can't afford." She straightened up and glared at Kash.

"I'm going to take the kids to Boy Scouts. Do me a favor while I'm gone, Kash. Grow a pair." And with that, she stormed off, one kid on either side of her.

Kash, Ian and I all looked at each other, then got to work.

I went down the snack aisle, putting the chip bags back where they belonged; Doritos with Doritos, pretzels with pretzels, and so on. Some of these dumbasses who come in here are too lazy to even put chips back in the right spot.