Chapter One - 'Golden Girl'

'My daughter, Maddie, will definitely win this week's competition.' Melissa says to the TV presenter. 'She always wins. She is the best dancer in the team, so Abby Lee Miller gives all the important parts to her.'

 'But, isn't that putting a lot of pressure on such a young girl like Maddie?' he asks.

 'No, she has talent and skill. She doesn't have any pressure because her pure talent wins her the titles.' Melissa replies with great confidence. 

 'So, where is Maddie now?' he asks.

 'She is training, of course. She devotes her life to dance. I am actually on a tight schedule as I need to be back at the studio for Maddie.' Melissa says trying to hurry the interview up.

 'What about Mackenzie? Does she get this much pressure too?' he asks. This man is full of questions, Melissa thinks.

 'Well, she doesn't win titles like Maddie does. It's as simple as that. If Mackenzie was devoted to dance like Maddie is, then maybe she'd start winning the titles.' she says.

 'How old are Maddie and Mackenzie? Surely Maddie is now nearing the end of her dancing career?' he asks yet again.

 'Maddie is 14, and Mackenzie is 12. Maddie will dance for the rest of her life. That's how much she is devoted to it. I don't know about Mackenzie. It will be up to her to decide.' Melissa says, 'But I really do need to get back to the studio for Maddie now.'

 'Ok, thank you for your time, Melissa.' he finishes at last. Melissa walks away and the TV presenter soon finds Kelly to interview. 

 ***

 'I just had a fabulous interview with a TV presenter Mads!' My Mom says.

 'What did you say?' I ask grumpily.

 'Well, the usual. You have so much talent and skill there's no pressure on you to win!' My Mom says happily. I can see the wrinkles starting to appear on her face. She's older now, but she hasn't changed since 'Dance Moms'. I know I have. I don't feel the same way about dance as I used to.

 Miss Abby still shouts like she did in 'Dance Moms' but it is easy to tell that her voice is getting older. Grey patches are beginning in her hair, but she must dye it as she doesn't have them for very long.

 'Please, everyone, follow Maddie's example!' she shouts at the group. I always seem to be the one who does the examples. I have to be her golden girl. If I don't succeed, she gets cross with me. I used to like it when I got to do all the examples, but that was many years ago. I hate being the perfect one. No one is perfect, so why do Miss Abby and my Mom treat me like I am? Sometimes, I wish I was normal. If I say that, my Mom says:

 'Don't be ungreatful Maddie. You are a very lucky girl. Thousands of girls dream to be in your shoes.' Why would someone else want to live a life like this? I want to be a normal teenager..

 ***

 'You have to win, ok Maddie?' my Mom says. I nod. 'Look, if you win, I'll give you 20 dollars. This is your last competition before nationals. This needs to be perfect.' My Mom puts so much pressure on me. How can I guarantee that I'll win? It's not possible.

 I finish my makeup, and I quickly stretch out my splits. Now I have to go and perform.

 ***

 I can feel my hands starting to shake. There are butterflies in my stomach. The applause for the last solo starts, and I know it's my turn now. 

 My name is called. I take a step towards the entrance onto the stage and everything goes black.