~57~

Hades felt like hell, which was partly due to the throbbing pain on his palm where his blood had been taken. The minotaur leaders made it clear they would remain battle ready until the hunt had been abolished, at which time his blood would be returned to him untouched. He had to credit them for trusting someone who they saw as their enemy, someone who still held the position of supreme ruler of their world. Communication with the minotaurs had always been handled delicately, and Hades knew his godly gifts didn't mean much to them. The whole situation stunk like... well, like death.

Upon his arrival at the castle, Hades made haste toward his bed chamber, giving orders to the kitchen nymphs that he wanted his lunch delivered to him there. He had no intention of leaving Persephone's side unless she spat at him. With a tentative hand, he opened his chamber door, and he was cheered to find Persephone sitting up in bed. She smiled at him as he entered, although he knew the smile was only for show. Her face held the pale, drawn countenance of a dying mortal, and her eyes drooped with unmet sleep.

"How are you feeling, my queen?" he asked as he pulled up a chair to sit next to her. "And be honest. There is no advantage to deceiving me."

Persephone offered her hand and he took it. Her skin burned as hot as a branding iron. "Oh, I am sure there is some advantage. At least one of us could get some sleep."

Hades forced himself to smile, ignoring Hecate as she strode up behind him and dug into his pockets. After locating the pouch, she huffed and walked back to a table where her cauldron was set up. The room stunk like an unmucked stable, but he knew better than to complain. "Why are you ill? Is it something I have done or not done? Tell me and I will rectify it straight away."

He desperately wanted to see Persephone well, but he hoped beyond all hope that she would not tell him that Lexi was the cause of her pain. The thought had tortured his mind ever since he informed her of Lexi's arrival, although she gave no indication of disapproving of his choice. Hades knew Persephone still loved him, but it was clear she had tired of him and of the imposition of spending every winter away from her friends and family. Immortality could be such a killjoy.

"I think I am languishing, my love," she said, her voice as quiet as a monk. "And it is through no fault of your own. Carrying this child has taken a toll on me, and perhaps I have accepted more responsibilities than is practical for a goddess of my antiquity."

"But you are as vibrant as any of us," he argued. "You were just telling me how much you enjoyed swimming with the Divine Diving team. And you and Eros hiked the Alps over the summer."

"Yes, we did, didn't we?" Her gaze drifted toward the heavy drapes that hung over the window, blocking out the light. "I suppose I have been keeping something from you that I did not think would matter in the grand scheme of things. Now, however, I believe it may be causing me some distress... given the circumstances."

"What is it? I cannot wait another moment to know." Hades drew her hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles, which felt like fire against his lips.

"This child is not yours. Eros is the father. I could not bear your disappointment. I thought if I let you think it might be yours, you would have a few months of hope, but I see it was a terrible mistake. I should never have deceived you. It was cruel. I am deeply sorry, Hades."

He lifted from his chair to place a kiss on her forehead. "You are a sentimental old fool, you know that. All I have ever wanted was to see you happy."

"And I want the same for you. We both know how difficult this relationship has been for us. You are always there when I need you, but I cannot always be there for you." She sighed and reached for a glass of water on the bedside table. Hades quickly retrieved it and handed it to her. She dipped her fingers into the glass and wet her lips before taking a sip.

"I think Lexi is the one to bring you long lasting happiness," she continued. "I know we have had this discussion before, when you entertained the prospect of keeping a consort here during the seasons I am away, but those goddesses did not ignite the spark I see in your eyes now. It is the spark I remember the day we met. It is more than Lexi's beauty that has bewitched you, it is her spirit, her intelligence, and her passion. And I see the fire burning just as brightly in her eyes. I see it when she sits across from you at the table, when we enjoy a game of billiards or roll the bones, even when you are not present and I have spoken of you. Her eyes light up at the mention of your name. She is worthy of the title of queen of the underworld." Persephone flinched and pressed her hands against her belly. "Ouch."

"Is it the child? Are you feeling movement?" Hades asked.

"It is not the child, but I believe I may be feeling the first signs of labor."

"Persephone, you are too weak to give birth."

She offered a listless smirk that proved his point. "I am afraid I have no control over that."

The stench of something truly rancid met Hades' sinuses, and he turned toward the table where Hecate hovered over her cauldron, watching a sickly green steam billow out of it. Jocelyn stood well back, holding her nose. Hades leaned into Persephone's ear, speaking softly so that Hecate could not hear.

"I believe Hecate has come up with the perfect antidote. The child will not want to be born with a stink like that welcoming it."