Chapter Twenty-One - "I Cannot Have Been This Unlucky"

Start from the beginning

“Oh….” Sophie mentally deleted the swearwords from the sentence in her mind. “This isn’t good?”

Celia was on her feet in seconds and standing beside her, staring out the window. She didn’t bother to censor her swearing.

“Do you need to cuss so much?” Chrysanthemum snapped, tearing her eyes away from the book. “Some of us are thinking!”

“And some of us are about to die,” Celia said, kicking Tala awake. “We’ve been found.”

“By who?” Sophie asked, anxiously. “Who is it?”

Celia grimaced. “Creature Breach. So….we’re not going to die immediately. Blue!”

Blue was still singing tunelessly. Celia marched across the room and ripped the headphones from his ears.

“Hey!” he cried, indignantly, as tinny music filled the room.

“Get Zephyr out first,” Celia ordered. “And Merry next. They won’t necessarily know that they are with us. Take them somewhere safe.”

“But Sophie,” Blue protested, “and you! Hey, who even is it anyway?”

“Society. Take Zephyr! Now!”

“But…”

“Don’t you dare argue with me, Bluebird Last! You’ll regret it!”

Blue grabbed Zephyr’s hand, hesitated, and then vanished.

“Ok,” Celia breathed deeply. “Merry, kept well out of sight.”

Merry nodded grimly.

“Sophie, stand back and don’t say too much that will anger them. Chrysanthemum, try and keep the book hidden and be charming.”

Chrysanthemum’s smile was just a little bit evil as she nodded.

“Let me talk,” Celia ordered. “It’s Creature. He’s a little worm. The Society only uses him because he’s too unimaginative to make mistakes. We can get out of this.”

“Um…Celia?” Sophie bit her lip. “Aren’t they going to arrest you for assaulting a Society official and escaping confinement?”

“Which isn’t against the law,” Chrysanthemum sulked, but was ignored.

“They might try it,” Celia tilted her head slightly. “But that doesn’t mean I have to listen.”

Blue popped back into existence, grabbed Merry’s elbow, and vanished again.

A loud bang came from the door.