11

"A friend?"

Rogers questioned sceptically. He'd never heard of Van Helbrick before but he supposed that the fact that Rumlow had been communicating with this person and that Natasha knew them meant something important.

"Oh god no. More like a distant memory. I can't put a face to the name."

Natasha shook her head, eyebrows knitted as she stared at her palms in concentration. Steve hummed a response, shifting his grip on the wheel and fighting off exhaustion.

The duo sat in silence for what seemed like eternity, the monotonous landscape around them passing by. Steve wished he could be like the evergreens he was passing at an ungodly speed. Still and constant. Rooted to the ground. Instead, for as long as he could remember the star spangled man and everyone he knew were perpetually in motion. Like some sort of machine. However, as much as Steve wanted to stop, Natasha longed to speed up. It was all too slow. Too much thinking, not enough doing. She was exhausted by the time her head bobbed up, hands gripping the arm rests, white knuckled and wide eyed.

"Barbara Van Helbrick."

Steve kept staring out the window for a while longer before he turned to face his partner, calmly, and quirked an eyebrow.

"Who is that?"

He asked as they pulled into their destination. It took all of Rogers' self control to pay attention to Natasha and not let his mind wander into the overwhelming nostalgia upon seeing the New Jersey facility. He tore his eyes from the steel gates to look at Natasha.

"She was Ana's boss..."

She trailed. She should have felt relieved. She found the answer after all. Now she had to do something with it. But that name brought up more questions than answers and the redhead let out a deep sigh of frustration.

"I'll figure it out later."