9

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?"

Half curious, half anxious to break the silence, Natasha was the first to speak among the pair. She'd gotten tired of watching evergreens zip past her window. If she let her mind wander any longer the conspiracy theories she was brewing in her head would keep getting more and more absurd.

"Nazi Germany. And we're borrowing, take your feet off the dash."

The Widow held back a smirk at just how downright disgusting it was that the man sitting beside her was so good. Still, she couldn't stop thinking about the situation they found themselves in, about where Ana was.

"Tell me again what happened in the elevator."

Steve sighed, tired of repeating himself, but he understood why he had to. Any detail could be a hint at the bigger picture; they could have missed a key piece in the puzzle.

"I don't know that there's anything more to add."

He said, having replayed everything ad nauseam in his head.  He should have just gotten Natasha the security footage from the elevator.

"They attacked, I took everyone down in the first few minutes. Rumlow was last left standing. He hesitated, so I took my chance."

Natasha stared out the front window in concentration, trying to find something they might have missed.

"He hesitated. Why?"

The question had been bouncing around in her mind for a while now. Why would Rumlow not take his chance to take down Captain America? Steve took a deep breath and shifted his grip on the wheel.

"He said a name over his comms, sounded like someone else was on the line. He said a name but I really don't..."

Natasha got so hopeful every time he divulged a new detail that Steve had taken to disclaiming clearly that he wasn't sure if it was worth looking into. The widow clung onto each crumb of evidence like it was a lifeline, though for her friend it very well could be.

"A name? What name?"

Natasha was attentive now though. Rogers hadn't mentioned this earlier, and a name was a lead in her eyes.

"I'm not sure. I told you, it could have been anything. It- it sounded something like Van Hel-something. Helsinki, Helms, Helbrick"

Natasha's eyebrows furrowed and she frowned out the window at nothing in particular.

"Van Helbrick. That sounds familiar."