prologue

mommy and daddy are bringing me somewhere. they couldnt find a sitter for us, so luke, jack, and ben are staying at jack's friend's house and they had to bring me along.

"hello karen, its so good to see you!" my mom says.

"liz, its been too long. come in, come in," the woman says. "well, who's this lovely young lady here?"

"oh um, this is my daughter, august," my mom says. i smile and wave. "i hope its not too much trouble that i brought her with us."

"oh no trouble at all, she can play with michael. michael! can you come down here?" the lady says.

a boy enters the room. he's dressed like spiderman, i recognize the character from one of luke's comic books. he looks about the same age as me, maybe a year older. "hi mom," he says.

"this is august, can you take her upstairs to the game room so you two can play?" the lady asks.

"sure," he shrugs. he starts walking away and i follow him. he leads us up the stairs and into a room full of toys. we play with legos for a while before i spot something that catches my eye.

"woah! you have light sabers?" i exclaim.

"yeah! you like star wars?" he asked me.

"my dad made me and my brother luke watch it. i love the movies!" i said. i remember when he first showed us. luke was really happy when he found out that he had the same name as one of the characters. i grab the blue light saber and swing it around. michael grabs the green one and we start play fighting. suddenly he hits me in my side, and it hurt really bad.

"oww!" i exclaim. i start crying. michael drops the light saber and lunges at me.

"a-are you o-okay?" he asks. "i-i'm so sorry a-august. i didnt m-mean it, i sw-swear." i kept crying and he just wrapped his arms around me. suddenly i felt so safe, and i stopped crying. i wipe my tears away.

"i-im okay n-now," i stutter. "thanks for making me feel better."

"thats what best friends are for!" he said.

"we're friends?" i asked. i never had a friend before, except luke, but he's my brother so it doesnt count.

"yeah! best friends!" he says. he links our arms and drags us to the kitchen while screaming about how he wants pizza. little did we know that that was the start of something big.

a/n -

so yee i decided to start writing again. seeing all my friends' stories and helping them sometimes really brought back my motive to write. sooo if it didnt occur to you this happened when august was 5 and michael was 6 ((: