~51~

Hades took dinner in his study. Persephone was still feeling unwell and requested to be left alone. Being dismissed by his mate did not bother him. He had endured fourteen pregnancies in her company and knew her moods could fluctuate from affectionate to icy. What bothered him more was her poor health. At least his tormented mind was assuaged by the fact that Hecate had been called and would see to it that Persephone followed the prescription she laid out.

It was nearly dark, and he stood at the window, scanning the snowy landscape and watching for signs of minotaurs. He had enough knowledge of their language to communicate with them if the situation deemed it necessary, but he dearly hoped to avoid further confrontation, especially when his thoughts were directed elsewhere. Not only did Persephone's condition trouble him, but he could not shake the oppressive image of Lexi wrapped in the arms of another god. He knew she was capable of dealing with their advances, one shot of lightning aimed at the crotch and they would think twice about sticking their dicks where they didn't belong, but the ache would not leave him. It had been a very long time since he felt the sting of jealousy.

A knock drew him away from the window, and he called out a bit too loudly. "What is it?"

Sella peeked her head around the door, looking as if a vicious bear might be on the other side. "Excuse me, your lordship. I was instructed to tell you that Hecate has arrived and she wishes to speak with you in the main hall at your earliest convenience."

Hades nodded and smiled at the kindly nymph, hoping she would take it as a gesture of peace. "Thank you, Sella. I will be down promptly. And, may I say, you are looking comely tonight."

Her cheeks bloomed as red as roses and her giggle could be heard even after she had closed the door. Hades finished the wine in his glass before heading downstairs. A good dose of fermented grapes never hurt when facing his friend and counsel, as more often than not, her friendly visits leaned heavily on the side of counseling.

"Pleasant evening to you, Hades." Hecate greeted him with a smile, although she was clearly distracted with whatever she had in her satchel, rummaging through it as she spoke. "I am sorry your dear Persephone is unwell. I have brought a few remedies I hope will aid in her full and vibrant recovery. What the devil did I do with the echinacea?"

Hecate proceeded to a nearby table, setting the satchel down to dig deeper. "I need to request a small favor of you, as it seems I am being asked to do the same. A siege of discontented souls has converged upon the gates. Apparently, a tragedy involving an overturned sea vessel has caused the untimely deaths of these unfortunate mortals, and Melinoe has been less than sympathetic in her dealings with them. I know the hour is getting late, but these types of souls fall within your area of expertise. I was hoping you could attend to them. Ah, here it is." Hecate pulled a vial from her satchel and pocketed it into her robe.

"Of course, Hecate," he said, wishing he could do anything else but attend to discontented souls. "I appreciate you coming to look after Persephone. She is exceedingly stubborn and has snubbed my advice more times than she has taken it."

Hecate's ability to sympathize with him had diminished years ago, but she offered a genuine expression of concern. Did he really look that troubled? "I understand your desire to see your loved ones happy and healthy, but even the gods have their frailties. Have you heard from Lexi since she arrived in Olympus?"

"Yes, she appears to be in good spirits, although a little anxious about facing the council."

"Good. Over confidence has been the downfall of many gods. I believe she will make an impression on them, no matter what the outcome. Lexi has a strong aura that stretches beyond those I have seen in gods far senior to her. For whatever reason, Gaia has bestowed her with immense power. If you are to keep her close, you must help her find outlets for her gifts here."

Hades sighed as he nodded his agreement. "I have contemplated that very thing on countless occasions, and I plan to introduce her to the unrivaled joy of helping discontented souls find their way to a peaceful passage into the next life." A chuckle escaped him, although he felt like the weight of the underworld had doubled in size.

Hecate placed her hand on his shoulder in a gesture of compassion, but he couldn't help interpreting it as a message of foreboding. "Lexi's devotion to you is absolute. I sensed it from the moment she arrived here. I predict she will incite a turn of events that will impact not only you, but all of us. Only time will tell us what that is."

She adjusted her satchel and headed for the staircase, leaving her prophetic words hanging in the air like a toxic cloud. Hades stood under the sconce light, the wine buzz having all but faded. He felt like a child stunned by a parent's scolding. There wasn't much else he could do but carry out the duties Gaia had handed him and let his future unfold of its own accord. And there was always the dome room.