LXII

We sat there for the majority of the day. Herbert didn't have to go to his work, so we took the day to relax. Clara made a few passing remarks about how we needed to do something to exercise, lest we lose all our capacity for movement and become stiff in the joints.

We didn't move.

When we had been there long enough that the fire was getting low, I stood up to revive it.

"I'll take care of it," Herbert rushed to beat me to the flame, and motioned for me to sit back down while he stoked the glow.

I did as he asked, with no small amount of confusion. When Herbert returned, I expressed said confusion.

He gestured to my arm, slightly scarred from where I had burnt it in my attempts at extinguishing Miss Havisham, "Fire doesn't agree with you."

I gave him a small smile, "I'm not going to jump into it, Herbert."

"I know, but I get nervous. I don't want you hurt again," Herbert touched my arm in the scarred area as if it would make my skin pure again.

"Herbert, it's fine. I'm fine. You're fine. We're all fine," I attempted to laugh it off.

Herbert offered a small smile and edged his way closer towards me. I returned the action.

Clara burst into the room, her manner all aflutter.

"If you'll excuse me, dear boys, I have some urgent business to attend to that requires my absence immediately. Do me a favor and try not to destroy too much of the estate."

Herbert shared a glance with me, "Dear Clara, what are you going to do?"

Clara smiled, "My intentions right now are of no great importance to you. I need confirmation on your ability to not burn the house down."

"I assure you, we're perfectly capable of self-sufficiency for the duration of your absence," I said to prevent Herbert from speaking – he was already opening his mouth to make another comment. I admit I had a severe flaw in my character when it came to patience.

"In that case, I will see you soon." Clara left the room in a rush. The door slammed shut not a moment later.

"What in heaven's name is she doing?" Herbert exclaimed once she was gone.

I made no reply to that end, "The real question is where is she going in such a hurry? What has captivated her attention so?"

Herbert shrugged, "Once old Gruffandgrim died, she changed wholly for the better. She was no longer required to feed his alcoholism every two minutes, and I believe she augmented her newfound freedom with an independent spirit," here he turned and smiled at me, "and that, dear Handel, is what those like ourselves should look for in a wife."

"And you encouraged it? Surely you didn't know of your nature when you married her," I protested.

"Handel, you're so wrapped up in those values Mr. Jaggers forced upon you. Of course I didn't know, but I knew that I wanted something, and that dear Clara would be able to give it to me. And when you applied to live with me, she highly encouraged it, and that is how I came to love you – or to realize that I loved you."

I laughed at his words, for his face became increasingly red as he said them, "And, dear Herbert, I love you – although I'm not sure how I came to believe it."

At that Herbert's cheeks became a brilliant shade of red and he turned to look at the fire.

We stayed that way for some time, him staring at the fire, and I staring at him hoping I hadn't severely offended him.

"Remember that day at Satis House when we met?" Herbert finally broke the silence.

"Yes," I replied, not understanding what he meant to say by this question, "we fought in the courtyard."

He turned to look at me, "You won."

"I suppose I did, yes."

Herbert smiled, "I demand a rematch."

I grinned, as it was in my nature at the time to do, "Of course."

We then tackled each other to the floor, overturning the table beside the couch we were sitting on, sending chess pieces flying in all directions. Gaining our balance, we each stood up. Just as we were about to make a real attempt at reliving such boyish impulses as fighting, we heard the door open.

Clara's footsteps were distinctive – we could both recognize her gait at that point – but she was accompanied by another, more delicate pair of feet.

In a mad scramble, we both sat back down on the couch, further distributing the chess pieces across their new domain on the floor.

We were seated just in time for the two women to walk into the room. Clara immediately set about cleaning up the chess set with a distressed cry, while the other calmly strode into the area.

Herbert and I both looked to see who the woman Clara had brought in was.

She had a fine figure, and was wearing a black dress that accented her form. Her hair was expertly done, and she carried an air of almost stubborn superiority and intelligence.

Estella.