Chapter.2 Packing Up

Just as the man had said, Laura got a call from his secretary a few hours later that day. The woman had been brief but explained that Laura would be scheduled to arrive in Chicago next week. Her tickets were being mailed to her as they spoke, her trip would be fully paid for of course, and that someone would be waiting for her at the airport to welcome her. And thought the new seemed to be getting old now, it was only starting to stick in her mind that this was actually going to happen.

  It seemed like it had only been a few days ago that Laura had gotten the news that she was headed out to Illinois. The Stanley Cup champions were giving her the chance to fly there, hang out, do some work, and see the city. What more could a girl ask for? Each day she checked off her calendar only made her more and more excited to head to Chicago.  And finally, that day was almost here. It was the day before Laura was scheduled to depart from good old Van city and head south of the border. It was a strange thing, this whole scenario. She was a Canadian girl who was headed to Chicago to be an assistant for a rival team. “Can’t really call the Blackhawks a rival team. I do love them just as much as the Canucks,” she thought to herself. And it was completely true. No one ever said you could only support one team. In Laura’s case, she loved two teams that loved to hate each other. “Oh the irony,” Laura smiled laughing to herself.

 She was in her room, tearing the place apart, trying to make sure she had packed everything she would need. “This used to be so much easier when Mom helped me,” Laura remarked, blowing a strand of her brunette hair out of her face. Mom. The thought occurred to her that she’d never told her family about this! She’d practically been watching hockey since birth. Were it not for her parents craze for the sport, she might not be obsessed with it herself. She picked up her cell phone off the floor and stood up. It felt as if this was becoming a new routine for her. Her phone was constantly pressed to her ear as more of her friends heard the news. It only made answering each phone call more of a task since it turned out Mai had slipped the secret to everyone that she had a little crush on one of the players. “Yeah, little.” Laura thought, eyeing the posters of Patrick Kane that lined her room walls. Not that it was a big deal or anything; she wasn’t headed out to marry the guy. As much as she liked that idea.

 Stumbling over a pair of jeans, she headed over to her big bedroom window. “Apartments suck,” she complained. But she knew it was just the loneliness talking. Her Vancouver apartment was perfect. From her room window she had a great view of the massive city. Heck, she could even catch a glimpse of the Pacific Ocean from where she stood. The place was large and spacious. Much more than most people could ask for. But it just wasn’t the same without her loving parents and younger brother. “Correction, being homesick sucks,” she thought. Leaning against the glass of her window, she dialled the number for back home. Surprisingly enough, her Dad picked up. On the first ring.

 “Hello?”His familiar voice spoke on the other end. “Dad? It’s me, Laura.” She replied.

“Laura? Oh sweetie, it’s so good to hear from you! Whatever made you remember us old folks?” He joked.

 “Dad, you’re not old. And I just wanted to talk to you guys. I have big news!” Which she did of course.

 “Well kiddo, I’m all ears.” He replied coolly.

 Laura drew in a breath. This might not be as easy as she thought it would be. Her Dad pretty much despised the Blackhawks. But it was hockey related none-the-less. Couldn’t hurt to tell him a little slowly?

 “So I entered this draw a while back. And I won it.” She knew she sounded pathetic. He would know something was up in a matter of seconds.

 “O-kay?” He responded.