Chapter 6

VI

"Master, I am sorry to disturb you," Saul says. The dimmed lights of Darth Vang's private chamber gradually adjust to the presence of the intruder, filling the room with an eerie red light. Saul kneels before the robed figure who sits perfectly still on his throne chair, his arms extended as if inviting the very universe to pass through his being.

"I cannot feel them," Vang says without looking up. He shakes his head. "No. It's not that I cannot feel them. They are here—I know it. Yet their presence is distorted . . . fleeting." He opens his eyes. "Interesting." Vang motions for his subject to rise.

"Their shuttle has not been maintenanced since they fled from Rios, so it is leaving a distinct clouded ion trail. It disperses rather quickly, so we have only been able to pick up scattered traces of it. The traces, however, prove they have recently been in this system."

Vang motions toward the large monitors filling the walls of his chamber. "Let me see the results of your scan."

Saul walks over and taps a few buttons, causing the walls to burst into multiple displays of the Geonosian system with its speckled, brightly colored planets revolving around a brilliant red sun that ripples and shoots solar flares thousands of miles into space. But the brilliance of the display is lost on Vang who sees only capital and strategic positioning. The planets, to him, are merely pawns on a holo-chess board.

"As you can see," says Saul, pointing to the bits of data flashing across the screen, "none of the habitable planets show signs of Isis or the Jedi. There are a few small settlements, primarily on Geonosis, but preliminary scans turn up no signs of their shuttle. They could be hiding it or may have abandoned it altogether, though it is unlikely they are either resourceful enough to cloak it from us or desperate enough to strand themselves in such an isolated system." Saul pauses with reluctance. "We can take a closer look if you like. It will take time, though, and if they aren't here, we'll be giving them opportunity to once again distance themselves from us."

Vang steeples his spindly fingers, examining the images carefully. "What about this planet here," he says, pointing to a small planet on the far edge of the system. "Nede' Fo-Nedrag. Why were no scans performed?"

"We tried, master, but all were inconclusive. The planet has a crust rich in a highly charged ore that distorts our scanners, so we can't get an accurate read."

Vang narrows his eyes in contemplation. "That is where they are, then. Their own cleverness betrays them. I can feel a ripple in the Force—a distortion. They are using that planet's unique pull to mask their presence. That is why I cannot clearly perceive them. But they are there. Set a course and call in the other Destroyers. Have them seal off all direct routes out of the system."

"As you wish." Saul turns quickly and heads back to the bridge, relieved to be out of the calculating view of Vang.

"You stay here," Raun says, pausing a moment from gathering weapons and supplies to point a finger at his nervously pacing companion. "I'm going after Sahria and I don't want to have to worry about you, too."

Padawan grimaces. "But I saved your backside back there. If it weren't for my detonators . . ."

"I said we'll talk about those later." Raun continues shoving supplies in a large backpack. "Frankly, I don't care if you carry around a mini ion cannon in your pocket, but Sahria feels quite differently.

"You know I can help," the boy pleads. "I'm a good shot and you know it."

"You are. And I hope you're a good pilot, too, 'cause that's what I need right now." Raun reaches over and pushes a button on the intercom to summon KP-3, who lumbers back into the common room with a huff. "While I'm gone, I need you to give Padawan a primer course on how to fly this thing. My com link won't work in this charged atmosphere, so when I find Sahria, I'll send up a flare. I need you two to keep a constant vigil downriver and come pick us up as soon as I signal."