06 August 2013

• Dedicated to pam

LONDON

Sue, her husband Steve and their new born baby Steve Jr were at Heathrow Airport. They had had quite the adventure in London: Steve Jr was born on the same day, in the same hospital as The Royal Baby! But after this calvalcade of unexpected events, the family were finally on their way back to Detroit.

Steve Sr. told Sue no one would care about The Royal Baby connection in America but Sue thought it was a great story to accompany little Steve Jr's arrival into this world! 

When she was seven months pregnant, Sue had flown to London for a friend's wedding. It was supposed to be a quick trip. She had somehow convinced her doctor to let her do the transatlantic flight because here was no way she was going to miss Jenny's wedding. Sue and Jenny had been best friends their whole lives. While Sue ended up marrying her highschool sweetheart and staying close to home in subburban Detroit, Sue fell in love with a Colin Firth-type while posted in London as a globetrotting journalist. 

The day after Jenny's wedding Sue woke up feeling ill. She went to St. Mary's as a precaution and ended up there for 5 weeks on bed rest!

Steve Sr. flew to town to be with his wife as soon as he heard. This wasn't how they had planned for the birth of their first child. Especially the part about being caught up in the whirlwind of The Royal Baby hype.

Everything worked out ok with Sue's labour. Getting a first hand view into the hussle and bussle of the prepp for Dutchess Kate's delivery was surreal. They watched coverage on TV and could see all sorts of action in the hallways for weeks. Steve didn't enjoy the spectacle quite as much. He really didn't get the British disposition and the concept of the monarachy really annoyed him. He cursed the whole scene many times.

But now it was finally time to go home. Steve Jr was a super sweet baby and Sue and Steve Sr. couldn't wait to get him back to The States.