A smile found Lexi's lips, and she lifted her hand to his hair, letting her fingers drift through it, but he still saw uncertainty in her telling gaze. He needed to secure her faith in him, and he knew what he had to do to earn it. He dropped to one knee, lowering his mouth to her hand and pressing his lips to it.

"Lexi, my lady, my sweet, my enchanting goddess, there is no one else I would rather spend every day of eternity with than you. I want to share my world with you, to explore the wonders of the mortal world by your side. Will you accept my hand in marriage, to be my companion for life? Will you consent to be my wife?"

He expected her reaction to be one of staggering shock, and he was not disappointed. The expression that took possession of Lexi's face told him he had caught her completely off guard.

"Hades, I... I am at a loss for words," she stuttered. "If you'll give me a moment, I'd like to sit down."

"Of course." Hades took her hand, leading her through the open door and to the bed. "Shall I call for a pitcher of water, or a bottle of champagne, perhaps?"

Lexi looked at him, her fortitude wavering as she rocked back and forth. "I don't know...both?"

Hades rang the bell pull and called down his request through the speaking tube. When He returned to sit next to Lexi, she was engaged in a deep breathing exercise.

"I know you were not expecting to get a marriage proposal so soon in our relationship. To be perfectly honest, I was not planning to propose so soon, and I will understand if you do not wish to give me your answer tonight. Just know that you mean much more to me than a romp in the hay, however exquisite those romps may be, and this was the only act I could think of to prove my devotion to you."

The blushing smile she offered quelled his fears, like the reassuring rush of air one takes after spending too much time under water. She followed this was a kiss that sparked his need, as her kisses usually did. When she broke away, she said her piece. "I cannot imagine my life without you, Hades, and I am still trying to shake the buzz from my head after that heartfelt proposal, but I don't want you to feel we have to be married to persuade me to be faithful. I have no intention of sharing myself with anyone else but you."

"I know that is your intent, but your resolve has not been tested yet. When you find yourself at Zeus' table, sitting in the company of gods more powerful, charming and handsome than I, that is when the test will truly begin."

As if she had been wounded, Lexi's smile faded, and her features creased with lines of distress. "Wait a second. Are you proposing marriage to keep me loyal to you while I'm in Olympus? Do you think my will is that weak?"

"It is not a question of loyalty or weakness. I am asking you to be my queen, Lexi. You will help me rule the underworld in whatever capacity you choose. You will take the place Persephone has upheld, including her place in my bed."

Once again, Lexi appeared stunned, and she studied his face, no doubt searching for the truth in it. "What will happen to Persephone?"

"She will spend the entire year in Olympus, returning to the underworld when she needs relief from the drama perpetuated by the gods. We have already discussed the eventuality of me taking a mate who is willing to stay through all seasons, not just one. Persephone is a thoughtful, dedicated goddess, and she loves me, which is why she wishes to see me happy."

Lexi abandoned his face and stared through the balcony's open door. Did he really expect her answer to come tonight? What was he thinking? He should have realized she might see his hasty proposal as a slight to her willpower. Had this been the first nail to make up his coffin? A knock came at the door, and he stood to answer it, giving Lexi a moment alone. Fiona hustled in, wearing a cunning smile. She set the refreshments on the table beneath the window and readied the champagne for opening.

"Shall I pour the champagne? Will there be a toast?" she asked, practically dancing on her toes.

"No, thank you, Fiona. That will be all, for now." Hades gestured toward the door as he watched the smile vanish from her lovely face.

"Oh, of course, my lord. I am at your service, should you need it." Fiona bowed, stealing a glimpse at Lexi sitting straight-backed on the bed as she retreated from the room.

Hades knew Fiona was wise to his intentions. She had kept his household running through six children and two failed attempts at winning the devotion of a mate. Of course, through it all, Persephone had been a constant, and her presence carried a weight that could not be overcome by any goddess he wooed. Now, Persephone was just as eager to see to his success as he was. So, why did he feel like his castle was crumbling around his ears? He stood in the center of the room, eyes unfocused, when Lexi reached out to him.

"Come, my prince. Join me."

Heart pounding with renewed hope, he tugged nervously at his sleeves as he walked to the bed and sat beside her. She held both his hands in her lap and the warmth enveloped him like the waters of a hot springs.

"I have come to a decision about your proposal," she said, her voice sounding strong and resolute. "I want you to ask me again when I return from Olympus, at which time I will agree to marry you."

Confusion washed over him, overshadowing the fact that she just told him she would be his queen. "What will waiting until then prove? If you said yes now, you could make the formal announcement to Z and he would finally shut his big yap."

Lexi gave his hands a squeeze, reminding him he was letting anxiety fuel his words. "There are other ways to make the announcement. I don't want the news to influence Zeus' decision when I make my request to abolish the minotaur hunt. You and I are both aware of his methods for getting his way, and he would use that against us somehow, I'm sure of it."

Reluctantly, Hades nodded his agreement. While he had suffered through his brother's moods far longer than Lexi had, she knew Z well enough to make the judgement. And she was right, dammit. "I wish I could go with you."

"So you and your brother could pummel each other? You're prohibited from entering Olympus for a reason, and I would bet my firstborn it's because Zeus doesn't want to risk getting his ass kicked in front of all his subjects."

Hades laughed. Not only at Lexi's humor and wit, but also the fact that she believed he could beat Z. "Your confidence in me is inspiring, but I request you don't offer up our firstborn for a bet like that."

He drew her close and she walked her fingers across his chest, delivering a shiver with every touch. He didn't have to second guess Lexi's feelings for him. She wore her heart on her sleeve, which, at the moment, she was tugging over her shoulder as she spoke into his ear.

"I believe you still have some ravaging to take care of, your lordship."