Who is the father?

Chapter 17

Sora couldn't help but stare at the ultrasound screen, her breath caught in her throat. She could see what was unmistakably the baby's head, his large closed eyes, his little nose, his mouth which was partially opened, she was amazed to see the face, but that wasn't what nearly stopped her heart.

She could see something was wrong with the baby's neck; it looked as though there were bumps, like the baby had some kind of rash, but then it hit her; the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck!

Sora knew that Ava saw it too because, if it was possible, she gripped Sora's hand even tighter and gasped; her face a mask of sheer terror. She couldn't seem to find her voice, Sora just held her hand and tried to comfort her in any way she could.

"Nurse." The doctor called, "Get the equipment ready."

"What are you going to do?" Sora asked, even she noticed the edge in her voice, Ava seemed frozen.

"We need to perform an emergency C-section," the Doctor said as she began to prepare Ava for the procedure. "The umbilical cord is wrapped around the baby's neck, if it were to be born vaginally then the cord could tighten, constricting the airways and cutting off circulation to the brain." The doctor was speaking as she set up a curtain, blocking Sora and Ava's view. Ava still couldn't speak; she seemed to be in shock. They sat in silence for a moment as the doctor finished preparing.

"Mrs. Ross?" the doctor said, making sure Ava was okay.

Ava looked directly at the doctor from where she lay. "Do it." Was all she said.

Kalos sat in his office, just staring at the papers spread across his desk. His star, his phantom was now unable to perform, what was he going to do? He could have Andrew temporarily take over as the phantom and then bump up one of the smaller parts, but that still means postponing shows for at least a few days, but he really didn't see any other choice but to scramble the parts a bit. He really hoped Leon was going to be okay. Kalos decided, he'd have to go explain to the cast.

He walked out of his office with the intention of finding his major roles first, he'd given most of the cast the day off but knew that he could find at least May and Andrew, they seemed to be there all the time, even on days off.

He continued down the hall and came across Rosetta, who seemed to be talking to herself.

"But I don't get it, Master Fool." She was saying. "I just can't seem to get far enough!" Kalos furrowed his eyebrows in confusion; he didn't get what she was looking at over her shoulder, or who she was talking to, but she just kept talking away and walking without even noticing him until she'd nearly run into him.

Kalos cleared his voice and she nearly jumped out of her skin, she looked over her shoulder, eyes wide as if she expected someone to be following her. Her cheeks were a flaming red, almost as red as her hair when she looked back to him.

"Do you know where May is?" Kalos asked, avoiding having to put Rosetta in an awkward situation.

"Practice room 4." She said, eyes cast down; she looked embarrassed that Kalos had caught her talking to herself.

"Thank you." He said.

"Excuse me," she shuffled by at a quicker pace than before.

He just decided to ignore it, if his staff felt the need to speak to themselves, it was none of his concern. Practice room 4 was one of the bigger rooms that always had a trapeze and net set up, when the stage was being cleaned or was unavailable for some reason, that was the room they used, he heard a grunt as he stood before the door; May was practicing.