"Are you our father? No? Hmm, well then I don't think you need to act like one."

"Kid-Nick, I mean, I am only trying to-"

"No you aren't, you come into this alley while my sister is crying and try to help her? Does that not sound creepy at all to you?"

"Well, now that I think about it-"

"Yeah, so I would appreciate it if you would polietly go away before...before..."

"Before you call the cops?" Liam filled in, crossing his hands over his chest and staring at us. "Say, you two haven't done anything illegal, have you?" 

That caught me by surprise.

"Illegal?! Illegal!" Nick shouted. "For your information, we haven't done anything illegal. So there. You got your answer. Now go."

"Then why won't you call the cops? Huh?"

"Because" Nick started, trying to find some smart-mouth response to his question.

"Because we ran away." I whispered, watching my fingers twiddle with some string that I found on the ground.

"For goodness sakes, Ali." Nick breathed, angry I blew our cover.

"You ran away?" Liam repeated, warily watching us. "You sure do look like you ran away." he laughed.

Ok.

Just because I look completely disgusting doesn't mean-oh, it probably does. 

Ali, just like stop talking to yourself, Nick will think you are even more crazy than you already are.

"Well thank you for that extremely funny joke, now, for the fifth time, we are going to go now. Have a fun life or something."

"Nick! How incredibly rude." I hissed back.

"Why'd you do it? Run away, I mean."

"None of your business, for heavens sakes, you need to mind your own business, man."

All I could do really was watch the two guys bicker between themselves. It was interesting how the grown man was having these little arguments with a sixteen year old. 

Though they were both acting like they were five.

"Do you need help? Is Nick being mean to you?" Liam broke my trance, standing now in front of me. 

Nick scowled.

"How dare you insinuate-"

"He's my brother."

"Brother?" Liam asked, searching for familiar features between Nick and myself.

"Yeah."

"Leave her alone, she doesn't need anymore trouble from you." Nick butted in, moving me so that I was behind his back.

"Whose older?" Liam suddenly questioned, looking extremely curious.

"Dude, remember what I said about minding your own business not like two minutes ago?!"

"I was just-"

"Sorry for my rude brother."

"Ali-wait, that's your name, right?" Liam peered around Nick's shoulder, adding me into their conversation.

I nodded in response to his question.

"Do you like living like this?"

I shook my head.

"Then why'd you run away? You know if you're homeless you could go to the police station or something-"

"No, it's-it's not that. It's-um-it's complicated."