Mumbai

I sat outside on my verandah in the cool breeze. There was no denying it, Mumbai was pretty in its own way. My area perhaps was a stereotypical beauty with its huge garden and white marble house but, the rest of Mumbai was beautiful too. The way all the people woke up in the morning and followed their own routines without a care in the world. I had come to Mumbai, because my relatives had moved here and I was to stay with them for a whole year to complete my year of journalism studies. Journalism meant a lot to me and that was why I was to complete my normal studies, but take an extra course in journalism to prepare for my future. I had applied for a scholarship and got one to journalism school, yet I still had no idea on what to study. It had already been one month since the the summer holidays had began, and I had read heaps of articles, but no topic ever caught my heart to want to research and study. But right at that moment was when my summer truly began. I stopped picking at the hem of my pants long enough to just look up across the balcony and that's when I saw a boy, about the same age sitting right across from me, on his own balcony. He had a pile of books on his right and a stack of pencils on his left. He seemed to be concentrating hard, finished writing (he had either reached the bottom of the page, or the pencil had broken), and he leaned back on the wall, running his hand through a perfect mane of hair. I was so busy staring at him ( not meaning to, my journalism instincts just naturally made me investigate everyone.) that i didn't exactly notice him glance up at me. I was studying his face, his gorgeous hazel eyes, his perfectly chiseled nose and his oh so dreamy luscious lips, they were turned up and oh, they were smiling...

Oh god, he probably though I was checking him out. Gosh, how could I be so oblivious to the rest of the world? I had two choices now, either to frantically apologise and deny everything or, to stay quiet and just smile. I chose the less creepy way and just smiled. He looked down at his book again and picked it up, this time choosing a pen. He must have broken his pencil when he stopped writing I concluded as he reached for a marker instead dropping the one onto the cool tiled floor. Guess my smile didn't patch things up. I crinkled up my nose, something I often do when I'm annoyed at myself. He just looked at me and smiled again, this time holding up a piece of paper.
'Hey, I'm Siddharth, couldn't help noticing you:)'
Wow, so I had actually managed not repel someone away. I quickly picked up my own pen and paper (that I always carried, just in case a good story came up) and scribbled.
'Hey, I'm Deepika, I'm new here btw!'
'Cool, how r u finding Mumbai?' He wrote on the back of the sheet he already wrote on.
'Haha great...so far:)?' I quickly write before he starts writing again.
This time he simply nods his head and goes back to his work.