Part Nine: Confessions.

"Naughty, naughty Melody," Jasmina cackled in her usual venomous way. "We're not allowed phones in school are we?"

It was lunchtime. The end of lunch to be exact. I'd just got to my form room after my first catch-up-detention for afternoon registration. I assumed Jasmina was referring to my phone going off in art that morning.

"Wow Jasmina that only took you, let me think, three hours to come up with that comeback," I mocked. "At least you're improving."

I turned away. She was completely pathetic. "She was probably just whining to her boyfriend about being back in school." Jasmina continued, placing a hand on her chest in fake sympathy.

"I don't have a boyfriend." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, okay, that's good really. Even you're not desperate enough to go out with a gay guy."

I turned back round to face her. "What are you talking about?"

She gasped slightly before laughing. "Oh, you don't know?" She grinned slyly. "Well, that's very interesting."

I sighed. "Let me rephrase the question, who are you talking about?"

"Are you really that thick Melody? Your gaydar must be totally off, you've been seeing the guy every day for months and you haven't got it." I just stared at her blankly. "Jake, of course."

"Jake's not gay," I responded quickly.

"Really Melly," Her grin was ridiculously big. "Are you sure? Because my boyfriend told me and he just happens to be the faggots brother."

I felt like whacking her. "Jasmina, I have never been more sure of how much of a bitch you are," I said, stepping up to her. "You call Jake a faggot again and I'll punch into next week."

She smirked but at the same time she stepped backwards. I'd scared her.

"Got it?" I asked.

She didn't reply so I grabbed my bag and headed out of the room to the girls toilets. As soon as I'd got through the door, I pulled my phone from my pocket. But I just stared at it blankly. Was it true? Surely Jake would have told me if it was? I couldn't just text him and ask him. That was too blunt. Even for me.

So I tried the next best thing.

"Liam?" I said as a voice greeted me.

"Mel, shouln't you be in class?" He sighed down the phone.

"Technically yes but-"

"No buts Mel," Liam interrupted. "You better not be bunking off again! You almost got expelled for goodness sake. Get your ass back to school now."

"Liam! I am in school, okay? Look, this is awkward for me but I need to talk to you about something serious."

"Promise me you're in school?" He replied.

"Do you want me to send you a picture or something?" I answered irritably. "I'm in the girls toilets and if you don't stop questioning me I am going to miss registration and then I really will be in trouble."

"Okay, sorry, what was it you wanted?" He asked. I could hear people laughing in the background. He was obviously with his mates. It wasn't ideal but Liam wasn't stupid.

"I'm just going to say it ... is Jake gay?" I asked.

Liam suddenly started coughing. I think he'd been eating and was now choking. "What?!" He said between coughs. "How did you-?"

"Jasmina just announced it to most of our form that her boyfriend's brother was a faggot," I replied.

There was a pause. A long pause. A pause long enough for me to go. "Liam? Are you there?"