12. Silence is Deafening

Start from the beginning

"Everything ok?" he asks. I can hear the smirk in his silky smooth voice. I can't answer him. I'm afraid my voice will crack or I'll say something stupid. All I can do is stand there and blush like a freaking idiot. "Why are you staring at me?" I ask. I turn my head slightly to look at him. He smiles and laughs.

"Because you're beautiful no matter what you're doing." He says and takes a step closer to me. I can't move now, partly because I'm trapped against the lockers and partly because I'm pretty sure he's going to kiss me again. His nose touches mine and I close my eyes and step closer to him this time. I don't know what came over me. I went in for the kiss.

As our lips connect, everything goes quiet. Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe everyone around us just watched me kiss Dylan. And I'm right. I hear whispers of jealousy and shock. I smile against Dylan's lips and pull away for air. I look around and see a few people have stopped to stare. "Take a picture, it'll last longer." Dylan says smirking, and they all walk away quickly, heads down.

Only one person stays, farther from anyone else, but close enough to see Dylan and I. "Hey! Luke!" Dylan calls while simultaneously waving him over. Dylan! What the hell are you doing?

Luke walks over after a second, one hand clutching his books to his side, the other shoved in his pants pocket. I can't pull my eyes away from him, sadly. I'm supposed to be focusing on the good things, like my friends and Dylan. Not the guy who continues to insult me time after time.

"Hey." Luke says casually. "I haven't talked to you in a while. Did Ariel tell you?" he asks. "Yeah, she might have mentioned it." He says through gritted teeth. This situation is just awkward for everyone. "What did I mention?" I squeak out suddenly. "That I asked you out." Dylan says. "Oh, yeah, right. I almost forgot." I say with a nervous laugh.

Silence is deafening. I think to myself as I look around the halls awkwardly. The bell rings and I'm the first one to leave the three of us. I don't even stop and turn around when I hear Dylan call after me. It eventually stops, and I make it to first period. Luke doesn't show up the entire class, leaving me to work on the project alone. Which, personally, I prefer. After first period, I walk to second with Dylan, enjoying myself and laughing with him. It's a different type of life style, I think to myself. Being happy.  I'm happy with Dylan. Or at least, I think I am.

Zoey doesn't show up at all that day, so after school I decide to stop by her house. I knock on the front door and adjust my backpack strap on my shoulder. The door opens after a second to reveal none other than Zoey. She keeps the screen door closed and talks to me from behind it. "Where were you today?" I ask.

"I'm sick." She says, her voice congested. She tightens the strings of her bathrobe and then pulls her arms to her chest. "Oh. What do you have?" I ask curiously. "I don't know, some cold." She says. I open the screen door, not caring if I get sick. Besides, I rarely ever get colds.

"Don't come in! I don't want to get you sick!" she says. "Its fine Zoey. A few days off from school doesn't sound so bad anyways." I reply and close both doors behind me. "Whats wrong?" she asks, leading me into the living room where the couch is covered in tissues. An empty soup bowl sits on the coffee table, along with a few DVD's that she's probably been watching. She brushes off the tissues into a garbage can and sits down on the couch, patting the seat beside her.

I sit down gingerly and slip my bag off my shoulder, putting it on the floor beside me. "Luke." Is all I can say. I can't cry in front of my sick best friend. "What did the asshole do now?" she asks sympathetically. "He's just playing with my emotions. I'm so sick of it. No pun intended." I say, glancing over at Zoey. It takes her a second to figure it out, but when she does, she laughs.

She scooches closer to me and wraps an arm around my shoulder. I place my head in my hands, holding back the tears that threaten to spill over. Don't cry. "That's just what he does, Ariel. Don't take it personally. He has commitment issues, which is why he pushes people away when they get too close." She explains. "So why is he so good with his friends? He hates me, Zoey. But it doesn't matter, because I hate him too. I just want this stupid project to be done so I never have to see him again." I say, standing up and walking around the room.

She watches me as I pace. Then she tries to change the subject. "On a happier note, Dylan asked you out!" She says. A smile spreads across my face at Zoey's reaction and at the fact that she mentioned Dylan. "I know right?" I reply, squealing as well. She always makes me feel better, which is what I should be trying to do for her.

"So when's your date? And where?" she asks excitedly. "Not sure, he just asked me yesterday." I say with a smile. I sit down next to her and we talk about where he could possibly take me. "I'm coming over to help you get ready!" Zoey assures me. Good, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

We talk for about two hours before my mom calls my cell phone and tells me to come home.

"I'll see you later." I say. "I don't think I'm going to school tomorrow." She tells me. "Then I'll stop by the drugstore and pick up some things for you." I say with a smile. "I love you." She says with a smile, and then starts to have a sneezing fit. "I'll see you tomorrow." I say with a small laugh and leave her house.

I walk home quickly, getting there just in time for dinner. After I've showered and done my homework, I climb between the sheets and close my eyes. Aside from all the drama with Luke, I'm finally happy.