Prologue

Prologue

            What was your biggest fear when you were 16? Were you scared of spiders? Were you scared of small, tight spaces?

            My biggest fear is the fear test. I have the same fear as every 16 year old this year. Of course, I can't help but be thankful that it's me going through the fear test and not my younger sister, Evangeline - we all call her Angie though - because she is terrified of almost everything. Bugs, animals, loud noises, you name it. She's only 2 years younger than me, so she doesn't have to worry about the fear tests.

            Let me explain something to you about the fear tests. They do them every year, and each year, before you enter in the tests, you get paired up with someone of the opposite gender, simply to see which one of you deals with certain fears the best. Some fears last for minutes, and some… well some, they make you go through for days. The families are forced to watch you go through the most terrifying fears you have ever experienced, and they have only imagined, with a complete stranger. They boy and girl who are paired up have to go through the rarest fear in the world once they get to the end. And no one knows what the fear is, because that is the only one that no one is allowed to watch. The winner comes out changed and is bound by the law to keep silent about what happens in the test. But the worst part of it all… well, lets just say that it brings fears to life. And I mean real life.