Smile

Listen to:

Smile by Uncle Kracker

*****

I pull into my driveway after a long day at work and I see Austin's car parked there. Confused, I turn off my car, hop out, and make my way to the front door. I never asked Austin to come by today because I thought he was hanging out with Alex, plus all I wanted to do was rest considering what kind of week I had. I walk inside my house, making my way to the kitchen finding Austin, my mom, and my sister. They turned to look at me with a smile, but all I can see was him. He was sitting on the counter, wearing a white t-shirt, gray sweats and a beanie, still looking perfect as ever. I love how comfortable he is with my family. "Hey, sweetie." My mom beamed at me. My eyes travel to her's, giving her a small wave.

"You look so tired." My sister, Blair, mentioned. I feel tired, I thought. Is it that obvious?

"Gee, thanks." I mumbled, setting my bag down on the kitchen table. Austin watches my every move as I lean against the wall, my arms crossing over my stomach. My eyes meet his gaze and he looks at me sympathetically. The way he is looking at me, I can tell that he is worried. But I do not want him to worry about me. I am fine.

"Yeah, YN. Why don't you go upstairs to get some rest?" My mom suggested, breaking my attention from Austin's once again.

"I'm fine." I sighed, getting slightly annoyed. That is when my mom knew not to push things any further, so she decided not to. But Blair on the other hand? She is kind of trouble sometimes.

"But you don't look good at all." Blair said. I glared at her and was about to shot something back, but my mom stepped in.

"Blair, go upstairs. Leave your sister alone." My mom said sternly. Blair sealed her lips together and looks from mom to me then back at mom again.

"Fine." She said, finally leaving the kitchen area. Suddenly, the house phone started to ring and my mom looked at the caller ID. Her face lit up and she answered the phone, leaving me and Austin alone in the kitchen. My eyes were looking anywhere but his and I can tell that he is still watching me.

"Babe," he whispered the first time since I got there. I look up at him and he motions me to come closer to him with his hands. I did just that. I dropped my arms to my sides and walk over to the counter he is sitting on. I place myself in between his legs, my hands finding his chest while he snakes his hands to the lower part of my back. "What's the matter?" He asked. I shook my head, not wanting to respond to that question.

"Nothing." I said, barely audible. He pulls me in closer to him and his lips kiss my forehead affectionately.

"Are you sure?" He asked, running his hands through my hair softly. "You haven't even smiled once since you got here." I sighed deeply, knowing that he has me. He knows me too well. One of his hands travels to my cheek, causing me to look at him again. He looks into my eyes, trying to search what is wrong.

"Baby, it's nothing. I'm just tired that's all." I assured him, but he was not totally convinced. "I have been working a whole lot lately and it's draining me. But other than that, I'm fine." I explained. He looks into my eyes deeply with worried flooding through his. Why does this bother him so much? "I promise." I whispered. His thumb trace against my cheek softly as I squeeze the fabric of his shirt gently and closing my eyes, loving his touch more than ever. I feel his hot breath against my lips causing the urge for me to kiss him to grow.

"You're so beautiful." He breathed. I opened my eyes to meet his. I felt my skin warm up from my neck to my cheeks and a soft smile appears on my face. He makes me feel so loved no matter how I am feeling. "There's that smile I was looking for." He said, smiling down at me as well. "That's all I want to see every time I see you. I would do anything to see that beautiful smile on your face."

I swallow a small lump in my throat before choking out, "I love you." Austin stares at me for a moment, moving a strand of hair behind my ear. He connects our lips ever so lightly.

He pulls away just to say, "Not as much as I love you." And kisses me again.