Chap 2 -Mystery Caller

Snapping my eyes open at the first annoying sounds of my alarm clock, I swung my arm out from under my sheets and brought it down over my poor, unsuspecting alarm clock, effectively silencing it’s daily plea for me to wake.

Releasing a huge yawn and stretching, I began my daily routine of dragging my still tired butt from the comfort of my bed and heading for my ensuite, pressing play on my iPod as I walk past the dock. As the intro to ‘I Don’t Care’ By Fall Out Boy Began, I stepped into my shower and leaned my hands against the shower wall letting the hot water cascaded down my back, washing away the stress in my tight muscles.

As I climbed from the shower, feeling a lot better -considering my lack of sleep over the past three weeks- I ponder over my thoughts on why I can’t seem to have a full night sleep, I know it has something to do with the mysterious surveyor that Jeb ran into almost two weeks ago now. I’ve had patrols doubled since and we’ve still not found anything or anyone, but I get the feeling that the second that we let our guard down, that will be when we will find trouble coming our way. My wolf has been wrestles for the past three weeks, she knows something is coming, she can feel it as well as I can. It’s like on a full moon, everything feels different – you can never explain it, you just know. As I stroll into the kitchen, the smell of my breakfast hits me full force. Just as I’m sure drool will escape my lips mum hands me a plate full of hot foods –warmed spaghetti, sausages, hash browns, eggs and toast. Swallowing my drool and tell mum “You’re the best mum, you know that right?”

Chuckling lightly as she watches me stuff my face “You tell me that every morning, although, that could have something to do with the huge plate of food that I hand you” Giving her a cheesy grin, I finish scoffing down my breakfast and then rinse my empty plate before stacking it in the dishwasher. After kissing mum good bye, I grab my school bag and head out the front door.

As I close the door behind me, Jess pulls up in front of my house in her new Toyota Ascent that her parents bought her for her birthday. It’s a cute car and totally suits Jess to a T, but I personally love my Land Cruiser Ute, I just don’t do cute when it comes to my kinda car.

“So are we going to be giving the pack some good news this week?” Mason questioned as soon as I shut the car door

“Aww Mase, you couldn’t even leave me be long enough to get over my Monday blues?” Giving him puppy eyes, that I know won’t work “Hay, didn’t your mum eve tell you not to roll your eyes at your Alpha?” I mock glared at him

“Yeah but I’m sure she never considered that my Alpha would be giving my puppy eyes” he replied with a goofy grin. Watching as it slowly faded, I waited for him to get it all out “Seriously Lee, the pack is getting restless because of all the extra patrols that we’re still running even though the bloke hasn’t made another appearance. They want to know why we’re still doubled”

Sighing loudly I was beginning think they have a routine here –every day that I’ve seen them since the first week, they’ve asked when I’ll be easing up on the patrols and every time, I tell them ‘not yet’ I understand their reasons for asking, but how do you explain that you just know that you’ll be needing the extra, you just don’t know when? “Mase, we’ve been over this every time you ask me that. I just don’t want to think that we’re in the clear only to have it backfire on us; there are plenty of people out there that would love to get their hands on our land. That’s half the reason why I let new comers think that you’re the Alpha –not to mention the fact that if word got out that we have a female Alpha, we would have every interested Alpha coming to challenge me. Do you really think that we would be able to live peacefully if that happens?” Seeing the resolve in his eyes, I knew that I had won this argument.