An Old Friend

The snow crunched under my heavy feet.

The pathway to the mansion that belonged to Kiriyama seemed longer than I remembered.

That, or time was slowing down with my thoughts.

The journey here was also tedious and unforgiving. I was tempted to bolt away and never look back again, but the nagging feeling that Tamari would be harmed hindered my temptation.

"Kiriyama will be delighted to see you," Kyoichi said.

I doubted he would be sincerely delighted, as the man was intimidating and cruel by nature.

He would always act impressed or saddened by a given situation, but his intentions were to only appear that way.

The Devil himself would be fooled by Kiriyama's manners and courtesy, only to realize his mistake in trusting Kiriyama and having the throne to Hell stolen right under his nose.

Kiriyama was crooked. What he had in store for me was too hard to tell.

I would have to find out the hard way. I had no other choice.

Kyoichi opened the large, wooden doors. I stepped inside, a surge of memories hitting me like a sudden blast of air.

Inside was the antique furniture I was introduced to many years ago.

If there had been no renovations to the house, we would be met with the large dining hall to the left or the open area leading to several rooms on the right.

If we continued straight ahead, we would walk up the spiral staircase made of marble that eventually led to...

A large figure leaned over the top of the staircase. It beckoned me to go up there with a long claw.

I wished he would mysteriously fall to his death.

"Don't be shy, old friend. I won't bite this time," his deep voice boomed.

He laughed a hearty laugh, and I felt anger burn from within.

"My, how you've grown! A handsome, young thing. You used to be so cute, it's no surprise that you would end up with such spectacular looks."

He strolled down the marble steps on long legs.

The years had been kind to him; he was still handsome even in his older age.

He had to be nearly 40 years old given the time that had passed.

Once at the bottom of the steps, he paused to admire me.

I felt disgust and a mix of other feelings towards him, but I refused to show it.

"You certainly weren't living in a ditch all this time, were you Yoshitoki? You look damn well taken care of."

Silence followed until Kyoichi spoke up.

"No, sir. He was found at the house of a well known family."

Kiriyama laughed and I cringed.

"Oh, so you were living like a prince! What did you have to do, show your worth by doing the one thing you were made for? Did you please your new masters well?"

I clenched my fists as his cruel laughter filled my ears.

"Is that why you looked for me? To torture me for running away from you? I have nothing to live for, so go ahead and get it over with," I growled.

"Oh, don't get me wrong, my beautiful prince. I don't mind sharing you, but they've had their fun for too long. It's way past time that you return to your true master."