Chapter 1- Missing Peter & Narnia

This is the third book in the Eleanor in Narnia series. I advise reading the first and second book, Eleanor's Trip to Narnia and Princess Eleanor the Wise.

Chapter 1

Eleanor's POV

"Oh great, Edmund's gone again," Lucy sighed as we packed the groceries into some crates, "I don't know why he wants to join the war so badly."

"He probably just wants to feel like he's helping fight for something," I shrugged as we picked up the heavy crates, "Come on, let's go get him."

Lucy and I walked to the town hall where there was a line of men waiting to sign up and join the army and Edmund was at the table talking to the recruiting officer.

"Edmund, you're supposed to be helping us with the groceries," Lucy said annoyed.

Edmund rolled his eyes at us as the men in line laughed. A man patted him on the head, "Better luck next time, eh, squirt?"

Edmund took a crate from me and we walked out to our bicycles, "Squirt?! He barely had two years on me!"

I laughed as we strapped the crates to our bicycles.

"I'm a king! I've fought wars and I've led armies," Edmund ranted on and on.

"Not in this world," Lucy sighed.

"Yeah, instead I'm stuck here, doing battle with Eustace Clarence Scrubb," he said.

There was a giggle from behind us and I saw a soldier flirting with a girl. Lucy noticed it too and she watched the way the soldier pushed the girl's hair out of her face and I saw Lucy put her hand to her cheek.

"What are you doing?" Edmund asked.

Lucy straightened up, "Nothing," she said embarrassed as her face turned red. She grabbed the handle bars on her bike and started to walk away, "Come on!"

"What's up with her?" Edmund asked me as we followed.

"I'm not sure," I lied as planes flew over the town square.

"We better get back," he suggested and we rushed back to our temporary home with the Scrubb's, the Pevensie's aunt and uncle.

"We're home!" Lucy called as we walked in. I followed her to the kitchen passing their uncle, "Hello, Uncle Harold. I tried to find some carrots, but all they had were turnips again. Eleanor and I can make soup. Aunt Alberta's on her way home."

Uncle Harold just cleared his throat and Lucy shook her head and we sighed glancing at each other. There were a few letters on the counter so I sorted through them until I found one with my name on it. The letter was from Peter, he and Susan were living in America with their parents, trying to save up money for Edmund and Lucy to come over on a ship. I couldn't save up enough money so I was staying with them until I could afford to pay for myself even though Peter said he would help. It was hard being away from each other but we wrote every week even though the post was delayed because of the war. I noticed there was another letter for Edmund and Lucy from Susan and I handed it to Lucy.

"Father, Edmund is making faces at you," I heard Eustace, their cousin snitch.

"Why you little," Edmund yelled as I heard them run.

"Father, he's going to hit me!" Eustace cried.

Lucy walked swiftly out of the kitchen to get Edmund, "Edmund, look...it's from Susan," she said.

They quieted down so I started boiling water on the stove for the soup before leaning against the corner and opening my letter.

Eleanor,
I'm hoping in the next couple months I'll be able to send you the money I'm making at the warehouse. I know you don't want to take it but I miss you and hope to see you soon.
Love, Peter