"Where's Sara?"

Brian knew that I refused to call either of them by the names of 'mom' or 'dad', but he never stopped pestering me about it. "Who?"

I rolled my eyes, keeping my eyes trained on where his feet took him the entire time because I would not let him come close to me while he was sober. While he was sober I could do something about it, while he was drunk was a whole different story. He shifted into an entirely different person, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me at least a little bit. I've been through a lot worse in my life than Brian, so dealing with him wasn't all that bad, but even if I had accustomed myself to his behavior, sometimes it still got to me. "Where's mom?"

He smirked, "Sleeping. Come on, I'll give you a ride to school." He buttoned a white collared shirt up to his neck and fastened a tie into place, gesturing to the door. I sighed, knowing that although he was a terrible person, he never seemed to want to hurt me when sober. My eyes focused on the landscape outside of the car as we rode silently, and soon I was getting out of Brian's black mustang.

He drove off wordlessly, leaving me to scan the crowd outside of the high school. I'd been here for the majority of last year, but it felt different now. I was a senior, and as I tugged my bag over my shoulder and started walking towards homeroom, I tried to decide what that meant. Freedom? Nope. Less classes? Nope.

What the hell was so great about being a senior?

Homeroom passed slowly, as did my first period English class. I tried to stay as quiet and unnoticed as possible in the back of the class, but it seemed to be inevitable that someone would to try to talk to me. During art, the girl next to me leaned over to me, placing her hand on my desk to get my attention.

"Hey, do you have a pencil I can borrow?"

I looked over at her blankly, before pulling out a pencil and handing it to her silently. She took it, but I could tell she was giving me weird looks.

"Thanks... not that you seem to care, but I'm Andy."

I sighed, and though I wanted to be friendly to this girl, I also didn't want to introduce her to the weight of Brian hanging over my shoulders or my past. "Beca. Sorry, just.. tired."

She nodded. "Yeah, I get it. If you ever need anything, I'm here."

I formed a tight smile in response and the rest of the period was quiet. Making my way to my third period, I couldn't help but let my mind wander to money. I needed to get a job, yet I had no sense of the area around Brian's house and I had no idea where I even could get a job. I glanced at my schedule and then made my way into the correct room, watching as the other seniors talked and laughed happily as they waited for the teacher to return. The bell rang and the door suddenly opened, and my eyes met a familiar pair of long, toned legs. I allowed my gaze to travel upwards over the woman's silvery beige mini skirt and towards her black blouse framed by a silver necklace. My eyes finally rested on her face, and I swear my heart fucking dropped out of my chest.

I was in deep shit.

She didn't notice me as she walked over to her desk, and I tried desperately to disappear, but it was no use as she started to call role. After every name, she looked up to find a hand raised, and I knew that mine was approaching quickly. I tried to position myself so that I was behind another student, but it didn't work at all.

"Rebecca... Harrison?" She looked up to find me and when I forced my hand to raise, I watched as her voice died. Her piercing green eyes took me in all at once, and I knew she recognized me from that night at the bar.