That Bootlegged Couple

Začít od začátku

Plus according what he gathered, the security is rather harsh on lone travelers – not a good situation for an outlaw such as himself. There's also the matter of his cargo that is likely to raise some eyebrows. He needed that particular gold to deal with Caesar.

But Law isn't Law without a plan – he smirked at his lady companion. "What?" Luffy quizzically looked at him with those big seemingly guileless eyes. In his hands was a document, a pass for a certain family of two.

"It's time to put on some disguise."

Luffy's eyes lit up at the prospect of a new quest.

++++++  

"Next!" A burly old man bellowed towards the line of carriages, horses and families, travel-worn and eager to enter and settle inside the town. Some children were already complaining to their parents, asking them how long it will take. It wasn't a very long line, at least by their standards, but inspection did take some time.

There was quite an influx of people tonight, usually coming from far-flung settlements. Waiting for the assigned inspector to arrive, the line had built-up, thus the current situation. Among them was a couple, perhaps married like most – a certain Mr. Brownbeard and his wife.

"Here ya go, good sir." The tall, dark-haired and handsome Mr. Brownbeard politely handed their pass to the awaiting inspector with an amiable smile that the man to whom the document was given couldn't help but smile in return. A guard walked up to the horse beside him and checked the contents of their saddles.

The inspector lightly skimmed the paper, "Syrup village, huh?" and gave a passing glance to the big-bellied lady seated at the white stallion lead by Mr. Brownbeard. "Long journey must have taken quite a toll to the pregnant missus, eh?"

Before the dutiful husband could respond, his wife enthusiastically chirped, "You bet! I can't wait to eat now! I could eat a horse with how hungry I am." Bepo slightly shivered to which she lightly pet his head and assured she won't eat a friend. But her stomach grumbled a bit too loudly on cue, making her giggle. Mr. Brownbeard sighed and awkwardly chuckled. "You know how it is when you got a baby on the way."

The inspector nodded his head in sympathy and handed back the pass. "I know, I know! Why me dear Maria had a terrible spell as well. A month's keep of food gone in a week! But all worth it when I saw the little angel, ah my little –" The guard behind him faked a cough, breaking the man's babble, probably used to the old man rattling off. "Well then, careful now you two – ah three. Town's bit rowdy these days."

"We will." Mr. Brownbeard propped himself behind his wife, carefully cradling the pregnant dark-haired woman, his long arms on either side of her, hands gingerly holding the reigns. "We'll be very careful, shishishi!" The wife beamed a wide smile as the couple rode towards the city.

"Such a lovely couple –"The inspector dreamily sighed but immediately composed himself when he noticed the guard glaring at him. So he continued, "Next!"

++++++  

"That was fun! We should do that again!" Luffy all too happily remarked as if they weren't in disguise and could possibly be detained or worse, killed off. The crease on Law's forehead deepened. He specifically told the darn woman to leave it all to him and not say a word.

Okay, so maybe it helped a little, made the inspector empathize with their supposed plight but it was still risky. He knew this alliance was doomed from the start. But his original plan wasn't that much better anyways. Now if this wench would stop snuggling further into his chest and distract him with useless warm thoughts, then maybe he could come up of a slightly better strategy.