“But—”

          “Merinda,” his soft, gentle voice went on to the next level: threatening. “No buts, you know it.”

          Huffing slightly in defeat, I accidentally allowed a quiet shriek to leave my throat as the needles on my body reacted to my sharp motion. I whispered, “Please, Jesus, take this pain away. It’s unbelievably unbearable, that—” Noticing my vision was beginning to go in circles, I squeezed my eyes shut. “Oh, God, please…”

          “Mer,” Cody began seriously, “you all right? Is something the matter? What’s wrong?”

          And then my head started throbbing, as though there were little twitches popping in and out whenever they liked that jabbed me emotionally so hard that I couldn’t refrain from whimpering; my face from twisting into a contorted look.

          I couldn’t even focus on moving my lips to speak.

          Squirming under the minor yet ironically severe pain, I clenched my teeth tightly together before balling my fingers up to fists as my toes curled as a reaction to what I was receiving.

          “Baby, I need you to breathe and calm down,” Cody’s panic-stricken voice nearly shook as I felt his eyes lingering on my figure, “speak to me, what’s wrong?” He paused for a second. “Do you need me to call the doctor?”

          “No,” I instantly forced out, “no.”

          “Then—”

          “Just don’t call anyone,” I panted, relaxing all of the muscles in my entire body as the sharp pains began eating me up from my abdominal area, “I can handle this. It’s only happening because I was being too rough with myself, and so, this is merely the consequence.”

          That’s a lie, I didn’t even know if it was true.

          I had no other choice but to come up with stupid, random ideas-slash-theories because I wanted to endure this all by myself, without the help of anyone—much less the doctor.

          “Baby—”

          “Cody,” I shot him an instant stern look that made him feel defeated. “Just don’t worry, the pain’s gone now. Everything’s fine, okay?”

          “But—you know what, I know for a fact that whatever I’d wanted to say would go into your ears as bullshit, so I’m just… I’m gonna shut up and follow your demands,” he chuckled, amused, shaking his head while my lips tugged upwards to form a smile.

          I like it a lot when he gives in to me—I’ve always liked it.

          “Aw, babe, that makes you such a gentleman,” I teased, making him roll his lower lip into his mouth; teeth lacing with his lip.

          “You know I love it when you say that,” and I did—never, never, ever did forget about that. In a blink of an eye, I felt my smile broadening when I noticed that he was showing off his straight, neat teeth.

          After three seconds when he hadn’t dropped that rare, amazing smile of his, my cheeks tightened to the point where they felt like falling.

          But nope, it didn’t hurt at all, because my heart was dancing in joy at the fact that a simple compliment sent to him could make his eyes light up and feel so happy.