Chase smacks the man’s hand away and continues through the front door.

“I’ll call Mr Boltwin and tell him that you’ve stolen something!” he threatens from the door way.

“Go right ahead,” she calls back, exiting the property.

She quickly makes her way back to her car and jumps in the driver’s seat. As she turns the corner, she spots her escort standing out front of the house talking into his mobile phone.

“This does not bode well,” she grumbles to herself as she applies pressure to the gas pedal.

The Private Investigator stops at a café for lunch. After ordering her phone begins to vibrate in her pocket. She retrieves the device and glances at the caller ID. Finding it to be an unknown number she rationalises that it had to be her new client. Her suspicions are confirmed when she answers the phone.

“I hear you took something from my brother’s house,” he starts abruptly.

“It may prove useful in my investigation.”

“Really?”

“Yes,” she states seriously “it may have some important information embedded in its pages.”

“Like?”

“Like people he may have needed to visit or any suspicions against the people he worked with.”

“Surely you could get that kind of information from the police.”

“Unfortunately anything involving your brother has been frozen in the department, that means that I can’t access them.”

“Which proves that there may have been more to my brother’s murder,” Boltwin concludes.

“Something along those lines yes,” she nods.

“Very well you may keep the journal for your investigation,” her employer says “it’s not like it’s going to do my brother any good anymore.”

“Thank you.”

“Good day miss Glades.”

“Good day Mr Boltwin,” she answers before ending the call.

Chase slides the cell into her pocket and leaves the house once more. She gets in her car and returns to the victims’ house. As she pulls up she fetches her symbols note book out of her bag and stuffs it into her pocket along with some chalk. With this done she gets out of the car and heads around the corner.

After finding out that someone had asked to see Harman’s house, Ryse immediately set out to stake out the house in question. He was a little irritated when he found that he missed the ‘inspection’ that someone had asked for. The sorcerer sighed and slumped into the leather backed passenger seat.

“This may have been a huge waste of time,” he grumbles staring at the front gate.

Beside him the cleaver makes no sound leaving the cabin silent.

‘Working with Cleavers can be so gloomy sometimes,’ he sighs inwardly, staring at the tarmac out the windscreen.

Just when he is about to give the order to leave a deep blue convertible turns around the corner and parks. The driver jumps out  after rummaging around their passenger seat and glances around at the street. The sanctuary officer sits up straighter in his seat and watches as the person jumps the iron fence.

“Finally some action,” Ryse grins, watching the figure approach the front door.

The thief pulls something from their pocket and crouches down to the lock on the door. A few seconds later a car screeches around the corner causing the crouched individual to jerk up straight and dart into a nearby bush. Once the car has disappeared they step out of the bush and brush stray leaves from their coat. They cast their gaze out into their street, making sure no one is out on the street. A frown develops on his face as their gaze locks on the van that he is sitting in.  

“Shit,” he hisses, scrambling for the door handle.

The suspicious target bolts out of the yard, vaulting over the iron gate. By the time Ryse had managed to leave the van the convertible was long gone. Swearing loudly he climbs back into the vehicle and pulls his flip phone out of his uniform. He dials the head administrator’s office not looking forward to giving his report.

“Reporting in?”

“Yes sir, we’ve had some activity.”

“Did you apprehend them?”

“No sir, they’d gotten away.”

“That’s not good enough!” he shouts over the line, causing Winter to wince.

“I know sir, it won’t happen again.”

“It had better not, I want any person who visits that how to be detained by any means necessary.”

“Understood sir.”

“Very good, I expect a better report tomorrow Ryse,” he states before hanging up.

The sanctuary agent sighs and re-dials a different number.

“They won’t get away this time,” he mutters as the phone begins to ring.