Chapter 2: City in the Clouds

"Tess. Tess. Come on, open your eyes."

Some annoying voice broke through the black fog of sleep. She didn't want to open her eyes - it was so much nicer in the fog - but the voice wouldn't shut up.

"Come on, you have to wake up."

She moaned in protest, but opened her eyes anyway. She immediately shut them, though not before she saw two figures kneeling in front of her.

"Dim the light a bit." She heard one say, and the light got softer. This time she could get her eyes open.

"Tess, are you okay?" Jaspor asked, with worry in his voice. She brushed away his hand and shakily stood up.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure? You don't look it." Benfran remarked. She glared at him.

"I'm marvellous." She snapped. He grinned slightly. She looked away from him and glanced into the mirror. Thankfully her eyes were their normal grey colour.

"What happened?" Jaspor asked her, as he led her out to a chair.

"Oh, it was nothing." She fake smiled, hoping it looked genuine. They didn't look convinced. Drat, she needed to work on her acting skills.

"We heard you screaming and then we came in here to find you passed out on the floor. I don't think it's nothing." Jaspor said, and sat on a chair in front of her. "Tell us what happened."

She bit her lip. If she told them, they might be able to help her. Or they would call her a freak and throw her into space. She decided to take her chances.

"I've been having these... things." She started. "They're like flash backs I guess, only I've never seen them before.

"When did they start?" Jaspor asked.

"About a year ago. The first time it happened was terrifying. I mean, it still is, but I'm slightly more prepared now."

"Can you tell us what happens and what these dreams are of?"

"Uh, well, the first thing is that my eyes, um, start glowing like a gold colour."

"Glowing gold?" Ben interrupted.

She nodded.

"Okay, that's different." He said, mostly to himself.

"Then I hear this ringing in my ears. Then the pictures start." Her voice was getting softer from the pain of remembering and she stared at her lap. "They're horrible things. Full of people fighting and dying, and pain, and blood." She shuddered in recollection.

"Who often do you have them?" Jaspor asked gently.

She shrugged. "Sometimes a couple times a day, sometimes not for a few weeks."

Jaspor patted her shoulder.

"I've got to get back to the control room. Ben, can you look after her please?"

Ben nodded as Jaspor left. "Did you want anything to eat?" He asked as he went over to the small cupboard and got out a blanket.

"No thank you." She answered, rubbing her eyes.

"Too bad, I'm getting you something anyway. What do you want?"

She gave a small laugh. "You're very persistent. I wouldn't mind something warm."

He nodded and started tucking the blanket around her. "Okay, give me a second."

He went out of the room, and came back a few minutes later, carrying a steaming bowl and a glass of water.