Chapter Three - Second Day of School

Pulling into the driveway I come to a stop under the carport. I turn off the ignition and reach behind me to grab my bag, pulling on the door handle I get out and make my way towards backdoor entrance. 

Inside I head straight to my room to drop my bag and then go right back into the living room. Sitting down on the couch I look over to my dad who is sitting in the burgundy recliner. 

"Hi daddy," I mumble timidly. He looks over to me and with his notebook in hand and starts to write. Handing me the notebook I look down to read 'How was school?'  in his impeccable handwriting.

Handing back the notebook I begin rambling on about my day making sure to include every tiny detail; how I liked my schedule and how my teachers were and what I can expect from my classes and so on. I even got down to the smallest details of where I sat in the classroom. Looking back at the clock I realize I have been talking for a complete two hours. 

"How was your day," I ask looking over to him. He ducks his head down as he scribbles words. A few moments later he hands me the notebook. He writes telling me about all the people who had stopped by and how he had mainly just sat hooked up to his feeding machine watching TV. 

"Sounds like a good day," I reply with a sad smile which he mirrors. "I have to go work on a little bit of homework and fill out some paper work for school. If it isn't too late when I'm done I'll come back and we can find a movie or something." Walking away, he grabbs my arm and gives it a light squeeze. His way of saying 'I love you'. 

Sitting at my desk I drag out my papers and begin working vigorously in hopes of finishing soon. Thankfully all I had to do was sign a couple of things and fill out a questionnaire for chemistry. All in all it only took about forty five minutes to finish it and once again cram it back into my bag.  

Sitting back on the couch my dad begins channel surfing in hopes of finding a half decent movie for us to watch. Settling on 'National Treasure' my dad and I get comfortable and watch the remaining hour. 

"OK, I have to go get ready for bed if I want to be up in time to get to school early," I tell my dad as I get up and plod toward my bathroom. washing my makeup off I walk back by my dad on my way to my room. He grabs my hand and mouths 'I love you'.

"Love you too," I whisper. "Night." He raises his hand and waves as a last word. I shut my door and finally crawl underneath my sheets rolling myself into a ball.  

I don't think my mind ever rests. Endless thoughts and questions. 'How much longer do I have with him?" "Am I really a good daughter?" "He doesn't deserve this kind of life." "He deserves so much better than me." 

"Just stop," I silently scream at myself. I can't get these thoughts out of my head. I can't sleep, I'm restless at school. I can't take it. How can I live with myself after how terrible of a daughter I am? These thoughts are still running around in endless circles as I drift off to sleep.

 _______________________________________________________________________________

Vibrating wakes me up from my normal restless night of sleep. I lay there, thinking of how my day might go and trying to come up with what to wear. Sitting up I tumble out of bed and lazily walk to the shower. I adjust the temperature, strip down, and hop in relishing in the burn of hot water cascading down my limbs.

Grabbing my outfit I dress quickly and carelessly blow dry my hair. I start layering on my make up, making sure to cover up the dark circles that have started forming in the hollows beneath my eyes. 

I creep out of my room in order to try not to wake my dad up. I look to see him fast asleep in the recliner. Watching him for a moment I check to see if he's breathing. He is. Thank God too, I'm scared of the day that I find him not. Lightly shaking my dad I see his eyes open slightly and direct their attention towards me. 

"I'm leaving for school I'll see you later," I say as I walk towards the door. He incoherently waves to me with a sleepy smile while I shut the door and go to my truck.

I pull into the school parking lot and turn off the ignition. Selecting a different song on my phone I quietly rest my head on the steering wheel. I sing the lyrics quietly to myself until the song sadly ends. I grab my keys, bag, and phone before stepping out and establishing a slow pace on the sidewalk into the school building.  

Just as I walk through the school doors the bell rings and I make my way to my locker. Grabbing my binder I toss my bag in and trudge to class. I sit in my seat when I get to biology and relinquish myself to my music. Scrolling through the massive amount of songs  I decide to repeat the song I previously listened to in the car.

"Ok class it's time to get started," I lift my head off of my desk hearing the teacher's deep voice interrupt the bridge. I pull out one ear bud but leave the other in as I only halfway listen to whatever part of biology he is talking about.  

My mind starts to wonder again and replicated thoughts enter my head. I loose myself entirely to them and am only brought back when the bell lets out a shrill ring. 

"Miranda," I hear a voice over my shoulder. Turning around I see Hyein, my best friend, coming over to me.  

Grabbing by binder I turn around, "Hey what's up?" 

"Nothing really, but Algebra was boring as fuck," she dramatically replies smiling, "you ready for theatre?" 

"Nope," I continue, "Never am." 

As we walk across campus Hyein starts talking about how much homework we have in algebra making me dread going already. Hyein has been my best friend since sixth grade. She's been there for me through thick and thin and I couldn't ask for a better friend. She's dramatic and crazy, but then again we are best friends for a reason.  

We make it to class before the final bell and sit in our seats at the back of the room. She turns to me before sharing with me plans she is contemplating over for this weekend. Harper, the theatre teacher, begins her lecture by discussing the origins of theatre and drama causing Hyein to momentarily pause her discussion about weekend plans. 

Once theatre is over I rush back across campus to make it to Spanish 1. This class I was in with Hyein but she had to stay behind for something, and knowing her I probably don't want to know. Zoning out again I plug in music and let my mind drift to a much darker place in the corners of my mind until finally lunch came. 

Walking out to the track I lay my purse down and turn my music on. The soft wind blew my hair into a slight mess and the sun shines down on me enveloping me into a warm embrace. I doze off only waking up long enough to skip a song I didn't like.  

The bell rings and I stand up and go to English. I manage to make it to class with out being tardy and put my phone in my bag not daring to have it out, because let's be honest, Mrs. Dell is cool and all but no one, and I repeat no one, wants to get on her bad side. Even though I put my phone away doesn't mean I didn't muse during her class though.  

I continue on this schedule for the rest of the day until the final bell rings and I manage to break free from class. Stopping and gathering my things I say goodbye to all my friends and proceed to my truck to go home again.

 _______________________________________________________________________________

Hey you guys sorry if this sucked. Some of these things are hard to write about and express, and her school life is pretty boring. But I promise to keep trying if you will only bear with me. Thanks for reading  and if you enjoyed please vote and if you have any questions please comment thanks you guys :)