Chapter 9

Friday. The week went by so fast. It’s amazing how a few days can change your life. I stood up from the couch where Lacey and I had fallen asleep.

It was quiet. I heard her voice. She was whispering as if she didn’t want to wake me.

I leaned in closer.

“Baby boy I’m sorry I didn’t show up yesterday. I was busy. I promise I’ll make it up to you. I have a surprise for you.” I heard her say.

No. That has to be someone else. Who? She can’t be cheating on me….with a guy!

I was furious until I heard her say. “Ok Kyle if you insist but Aunt Janie doesn’t want you eating all that junk food.”

Kyle? Her little brother? I felt like such an idiot.

I sighed with relief and she heard.

“Ok Kyle I’ll pick you up tomorrow. Bye and don’t give aunt Janie a hard time love you.”

“Babe?” I heard her say.

“I didn’t mean to listen in.” I said coming from the hallway.

“Sorry it’s just I was supposed to pick up Kyle Yesterday but I was too worried about you. I had to wait for you.”

“I’m sorry. From now on, don’t worry about me. If you have plans with anyone else, especially your brother, don’t wait up for me. I’m pretty unpredictable.”

“I know but I felt like I had to.”

I smiled and kissed her cheek.

“I have to get ready for school. It’s been one hell of a week.” I sighed.

“At least spring break is coming up? Right?”

Oh yea! I forgot about that.

“Oh yeah. It is.” I laughed. “Anyway what did the college say?” I asked as I brushed my teeth.

“I signed up for summer classes. I thought that my mother isn’t going to want to be supporting me my entire life so might as well get some education.”

“Your mother huh?” I asked as I picked a shirt out from my duffle bag.

“Yea.”

There was an akward silence in the room. Ever since I’ve known Lacey has there ever been an akward silence.

“Lace?” I asked as I turned around. “Are you ok?”

“Yea. I’m fine. Go and change, I’ll take you to school.” She smiled.

I didn’t ask any further questions even though I was dying to ask but I knew that if she wanted to tell me she would have.

I dressed in my usual attire and headed downstairs.

“Why do you always wear jeans and a t-shirt?” Lacey asked as she observed me from the bottom of the stairs.

“I don’t know. I mean, it’s comfortable and it’s just school. I’m not really dressing up for teachers and people I could care less about.”

“So If I were to invite you to an amazing party with gowns and fancy music would you wear….you know….a dress?” She raised an eyebrow.

I froze. A dress? I haven’t worn a dress since I was five and that’s because they were for church.

“ummmm, I’m going to be late.”

She sighed and said “Fine, get in the car.”

Why would she ask? It’s not like there’s any fancy parties in the future? Right?